A really touching video must watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

label

Hatchling Member
A few months ago Radio National here in Australia did a piece on the now 35 year long study on shinglebacks, led by Prof. Michael Bull, who sadly died last year: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-16/life-death-and-grief-of-the-sleepy-lizard/8442252 . They have a much more complex life than people generally think of when they think of reptiles. I just got a pair last week, who I hope have bonded. They are really placid and move so slowly that they almost seem like animated geology than animals. I'm hoping mine will settle in well. Given that I'm in my 60s, buying animals with 50 year lifespans may have been a bit optimistic!

chameleon7

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
fascinating creatures indeed! good luck with your bobtials i hope to get one soon :blob8: :mrgreen:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I believe that clip from comes from an Attenborough Doco ....

They'll stay with the corpse of their mate until starvation force them to leave it.... very otherwise they mate for life and return to reunite with their mate every year.

This seems a common skink attribute , I've had the same alpha male water skink coming here for nearly a decade , and the same females are always about in my yard and under the house and in the shed.
Little known by even reptile enthusiasts, skinks are great moms , they guard their babies for a long time. They also accept and share guard duty of related (sisters', auti's and cousin's, and daughter's) offspring, and will chase away offspring from unrelated females.

chameleon7

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
amazing animals really, i always used to collect wild skinks when i was little and i did see a david attenborough episode where this little skink mum was curled up with her babies in a little burrow warming them up, definitely have a new found passion for skinks, they really seem to range in behavior from species to species the big kink skinks are huge but really skittish and they bite just like a blue tongue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom