A few random questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yakul

I just got a fancy bearded dragon yesterday and had a few random questions. 1. How often do they shed? 2. What can I do for yakul when it sheds? 3. What is the right way to tame them? 4. How do I know if it likes me? 5. Does anyone know of a good vet near Huntley Illinois? And last but not least 6. What are all (or as many as you can remember) of the vegetables that I can give my bearded dragon? Any and all information will be appreciated greatly, thank you, and my bearded dragon will thank you too. Oh, some information, I don't know what sex it is yet, it is about 7 1/2 inches from nose to tip of tail, I'm currently trying to get help in another forum because its toe seems to be injured and I don't know how to help it, and it ate just fine this morning in its current terrarium which is a 20 gallon with repticarpet for now. Oh and the toe injury happened before I brought it home, (I think, because it is already black-ish). And if anyone could help me out with the toe issue, I would appreciate that too.

PeppersGirl

Juvie Member
Beardies fully shed every month or two when juveniles, and as little as once a year when adults (but usually in patches a little at a time then). You can assist by making sure he has a water source and/or bathing him to soften the shed but generally they don't have problems rubbing it off themselves.

Talk to him, offer him your hand to climb up if he likes. Beardies are pretty good at being friendly companions but it may take a while for him to get used to you as his new person. If he's skittish be patient, try not to stress him out if he's little.

Here is a good list of beardie veggies: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

I'm not sure about the toe, but if you can get a good picture someone should be able to help :)

Brandonforty2

Juvie Member
The toe sounds like it may have been nipped by another beardie when it was at a pet store/breeder. It is sadly pretty common. It happened when another beardie is trying to show who's boss and goes around biting all of the toes and tails.

Oriheme

Juvie Member
What kinda of UVB are you using?
What are his temps and what are you using to take the temps?

those are very important things to know :D I am sure u have everything right but just in case ^^.

20 gallon is good for a baby for now, when he gets bigger u will want something bigger as well.

As for beardie liking you, it varies from dragon to dragon. Boba Fett, my oldest dragon will come plop himself down on my son and watch TV with him or do whatever he is doing. Whenever we come into the room Boba Fett will come glass dance at his window until someone picks him up. My younger dragon, Dragonite, is very skiddish and not used to people yet, i got her 3 weeks ago so she is still getting used to people.

Make sure to watch his belly for stress marks. and dont give into fits!!

Yakul

Original Poster
Thank you for the info. Sorry for the slow response, I had boxing the past two days. And I am currently using a zoomed tube for the UVB light, the temps are 105, and 79 (I'm trying to work out getting the cool side within the 80's range) and I am use a digital thermometer to take the temps.

Alright, and my bearded dragon seems really skittish to me. He never comes to my hand, always runs from it, and whenever I enter the room, he climbs to his basking spot or into his water and stares at me. When I finally get him on my hand he simply walks off, and if I have him in my hand he never seems to chill out and looks as if I'm about to eat him, no matter how calmingly I speak to him. Do bearded dragons mellow out? Will he ever come to my hand?

Oh! And this may seem like a dumb question but... What do stress marks look like? Last but not least, is there a secret to not looking like a threat? Again, thank you, and hope I'm giving yakul the best care I can.

beardieparents7780

Hatchling Member
If the nipped toe is black its already in the process of falling off. You can use neosporin just put a little on it everyday and keep a eye on it for swelling and infection.

Yakul

Original Poster
Does anybody know what I could do if there is swelling? The tip did fall off, but the foot seems a little swollen...

beardieparents7780

Hatchling Member
Clean the foot with some betadine and apply neosporin a couple times a day for 5 or so days. Make sure they're on a clean surface line the enclosure with paper towel.

Yakul

Original Poster
Thank you so much!!!!!!! And I can't figure out how to post pictures. ( I know dumb right?)

beardieparents7780

Hatchling Member
Just keep it clean and use the betadine and neosporin if it looks like its getting worse then you might need an oral antibiotic but it should be fine.

Yakul

Original Poster
image_zpsda8d1668.jpg

Sorry if you can't see it but I will try to take a new pic soon. In this one yakul still has the tip of the toe, it has since fallen off. But you may be able to see a difference between the two feet. And the foot has swollen a little more since this pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom