A few questions about buying bugs online

Status
Not open for further replies.

erikadickson

Hatchling Member
What type of worm would be best for a juvenile beardie? Waxworms, superworms, hornworms? I was also wondering how many of them my 13-inch guy will eat? What do I do with the leftovers? Thanks for answering my questions! It's much appreciated.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
At 13 inches your best bet for worms are probably Phoenix Worms and silk worms. The silks are tougher to find this time of year but you can buy eggs and hatch your own. You'll need silkworm chow or mulberry leaves for them. The Phoenix Worms are easy to come by but they're small so you'll probably go through a lot of them. These are two of the healthier options worm wise.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
Phoenix worms, silk worms, hornwoms, and butterworms are better than wax worms. Superworms can cause impaction in smaller dragons. If you choose to feed superworms, order the micro size. You should offer a variety of feeders. Waxworms are pretty much beardie candy. I order from Rainbow Mealworms and DubiDelli. They have the insect caresheets you can go by and you can order the insect chow from them.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Phoenix Worms do best at 50-60 degrees but can be stored at room temperature without a problem. The amount he eats will vary depending on how hungry he is. I'd imagine 200 would last anywhere from a week to a month or so but that's just a guess.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They are larvae from the black soldier fly so they will eventually grow into flies but they are harmless. If you just keep them in their container they'll be OK. They'll probably get eaten before that happens.

smauggle

I've got an 11" dragon who ate 100 phoenix worms/150ish crickets/daily salads in about 4 days (about $25 in live prey). This was about two weeks ago. If crickets are an option for you, your wallet will thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom