A few questions about babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
It's been a while since I've had such a tiny baby, but I remember Norbert ALWAYS being hungry. I try to feed my new baby Stewart 3 times each day, but he'll usually only eat once in the middle of the day, and sometimes a couple more dubia later at dinner time. Is this alright? I know their supposed to eat 2-3 times per day, but he doesn't seem interested in doing that. He is eating, just one big meal, and he's pooping 1-3 times each day and they look normal.

I'm also wondering if babies normally head bob? He's only about 7 weeks old, but a few days ago he caught a glimpse of my Norbert and he started bobbing. I've never heard of a baby doing that before (don't they usually wave when they see a bigger dragon?), but the motion was unmistakable.

Here's a few recent pictures, since I know everyone loves to see pictures. :D

Wow, that's an awesome color on Stewart. I am a new owner, but I've noticed that the two babies I have DO head bob from time to time. Mine are 3 weeks old in comparison, so they're fairly tiny (4.5 inches or so from nose to the tip of the tail).

How many is Stewart eating? I'm struggling to get my little ones to eat 20 per day each. I'd actually put it closer to 10-15 each.. which has me worried.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
He's eating between 15 and 20 a day and mostly all at the same time. Ive been trying to justify it by thinking that dubia have more meat than crickets, so hes REALLY eating the amount of like... 40 crickets. Lol Still dont think he's eating enough often enough. I also realized I was wrong about his age and hes actually 5 weeks.

Katie007":1kjhofcb said:
He's eating between 15 and 20 a day and mostly all at the same time. Ive been trying to justify it by thinking that dubia have more meat than crickets, so hes REALLY eating the amount of like... 40 crickets. Lol Still dont think he's eating enough often enough. I also realized I was wrong about his age and hes actually 5 weeks.

I think I tried feeding them incorrectly (3 times a day instead of just two). I noticed when I had a big gap in time for them to eat today, they ate a lot more. I also think these pinhead crickets aren't the right size, as I've gotten one or two at 1/4 of an inch and they have no issues downing them whatsoever. They also find it easier to see the larger ones. The vitapowder helps for identifying them, but they're still hard to see. Heh.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Lol Yeah, I remember having that problem when I was using crickets with my first. Have you ever considered dubia roaches? They're very easy to breed and in my opinion a much better feeder. I like them most because with my older dragon I can leave a bowl of them in his enclosure for him to eat whenever he feels like it, and they cant escape.

And I've been spacing out his meals a lot. Usually he wants nothing in the morning, then around noon I give him lunch and that's when he eats his big meal, then around 5-6 I try feeding again and he'll usually only eat a few at that time. I'm starting to think it does have to do with me trying to compare crickets to dubia. I read somewhere on here a while ago (not sure how accurate it was though) that 1 dubia roach equals 3 crickets. I'm wondering if thats really true, and he actually is eating enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom