A bit on the fatty side...maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisandre

I warn you, this is going to be a long read because I am trying to offer as much information as I can. AHBD brought to my attention that Saphira is on the fatty side (I always had my suspicions) :lol:, and because of that Saphira could get sick in the future. I want to make sure that she will have a long happy life with me, and everything that I do now won't negatively impact her future years.

Saphira is approximately 10 months and 2 weeks old. I picked her date of birth as April 18, 2012 (give or take 1 -2 weeks). After yesterday's measurements she is almost 20 inches long, and she weighs 855 grams. When I got her she was around 6 weeks old. Generally, the older she got, the lazier she became. When I let her out her favorite activity is to sit, and to watch outside the patio's screen door.

This is Saphira yesterday. She's not a happy camper :). She has been shedding different body parts for the last month.

IMG_4423_zps75e4f23e.jpg

I always used the same scale to weigh her; I even got a calibration weight to make sure that my scale was working properly. When I weighted Saphira at the vet office, their scale showed 20 grams less than mine. I treated her twice for pinworms and flagellates once in October, then again in November. Even under medication she maintained her growth.She has always been on the bigger side.

This is Saphira’s weight growth chart.
weightchart_zps867908a2.jpg

Genetics:
Saphira comes from big parents. Her mom is 22.5 inches long, and weighs 745 grams. Her dad at 16 months was 21 inches long, and weighted 821 grams. Initially I bought Saphira because she was advertised as being bred for size and color, and she did not disappoint. :)

Supplements:
When she was younger, around 3 months, she became fussy and refused to eat anything dusted with calcium or vitamins; therefore, I switched her to liquid calcium which I mixed with carnivore care and baby food to add some consistency, or she would refuse to take it.
Since her weight kept increasing, giving her liquid supplements was no longer an option, so I switched back to powders. Usually I give her Calcium Complex Powder with D3 (Serrapeptase & Magnesium) 5 times per week. I also use Multi Vitamins Powder (minerals & amino acids), and liquid Vitamin B Complex 2 times per week. She still doesn't eat anything dusted, thus I give her daily slurries. I use measuring spoons for powders. Her mix is usually composed by a drop of carnivore care, a drop of either calcium or vitamin, four liquid drops of electrolytes (Leapin' Lizard), and one or two smidgens of baby food (chicken or squash). Two times per week I add three liquid drops of vitamin B, and once per week I add some probiotics or Acidophiluz+. Lately I would give her the mix without carnivore care. This mix is at most .5cc because anything more than that she will not take willingly.

I have 2 bottles of liquid serrapeptase which I can't use anymore, because Saphira won't drink .8cc of liquid. :( In general she doesn’t want to drink anything. The way I keep her hydrated is through her baths, salads, and electrolytes. Her mixes must have some consistency so she can lick it from her nose.

Diet:
Unfortunately she won't eat unless she's hand fed. Luckily for her this doesn’t bother me.:lol:

Vegetables:
I follow the list from beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition. Her favorites are collard, mustard, endives, and watercress. She won't touch any kind of squash anymore though. I tried to grate it, cut it thin slices, I even baked it. I also tried different kind of fruits without success.

Live Feeders:
When I got her the first two weeks she ate crickets, then I switched her to Dubia. I used to buy around 2000 Dubia every month to keep up with her appetite. This lasted until she was around 6 months old when I bought her some yummy hornworms. After she tasted the hornworms she refused to eat Dubias anymore.

I present you exhibit A.
IMG_3950_zps9ee9563c.jpg

I tried tough love for about two - three weeks but she was barely eating Dubia anymore. I gave in, and I made the switch to super worms. I should add that the month she stopped eating Dubia was the first month when my colony was able to sustain her feeding. I still have the colony, from which I give away regularly, hoping that one day she would know what is good for her. :)

This picture was taken around the tough love period. :roll: It always makes me laugh when I see it. :lol:
nov_zps68af1cc8.jpg

During the middle of December her appetite started to level off. Since January her weekly super worm intake would vary between 15 and 35. For example, last week she ate 35 supers, but they were not evenly spread out during the week. She ate 9 supers and salad one day, and just salad the following day.

Over time she had serious growth spurs. One of these spurs left her with a mark. I think her shedding schedule couldn't keep up with her growing. The following picture shows the mark on her skin. This is a recent picture, taken this month. I forgot the initial date when the mark appeared but it was a while ago.
IMG_4359_zpsf208b3cd.jpg

These are pictures taken this month so you can see how she looks now from different angles.
IMG_4343_zpsade5d625.jpg

IMG_2500_zps7227ad01.jpg

IMG_2521_zps80ce4ce5.jpg

I would like to add that I kept an eye on one of Saphira's sisters here on forum. I am 95% sure that they are from the same clutch. Over time I could see that they had similar growth and judging from her sister’s pictures most of times they looked as having comparable length and weight.

I also wondered if Saphira may be pregnant but I don't feel any eggs in her tummy, and she does not act restless at all. She is in a 40 gallon breeder right now, and this year she is due for a new 4x2x2 enclosure.

After all this flood of information my question is what should I do? Should I cut from her super worms? How many supers should I give her per week? Should I try to maintain a strict schedule of "X" amount of supers per day? If that, what is the magic number?

Also how can I make her exercise more? Maybe I should buy some hornworms, and make her run after them around the house.:lol:

If you have more questions, or if you need clarifications please ask.

TLDR: Saphira is a fatty, mommy is worried. :lol:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there Crisandre, well WOW ! I am stunned....first off she is a very pretty girl. She does come from big stock, that's for sure. I can tell you without doubt that she's severely obese. Even if she had a belly full of eggs she'd be way too big. The good news is that she's young, so the time to reverse it is now. Just cut her feeders down to about 15 -20 bugs a week at the most, and keep her on the veggies that she likes. She really is so big that she may already be uncomfortable not only walking [ that's why she seems lazy ] but even sleeping will get difficult. So the reduction of bugs to about 4 bugs every other day for a while, it really is important to take it seriously. When she loses weight, her sides will become kind of saggy, just like a person [ think of the show " biggest loser "] but it's O.K. Increase her activity level by daily outings and baths where she needs to almost swim. [ Supervised of course ] If she struggles in the water, it's best to just let her out on the floor for exercise, but do it regularly. If she doesn't move much, tempt her with a superworm so that she has to waddle after. She will be much healthier. :)

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Agreed with AHBD. Just like an obese person, I'm sure it is hard on her breathing, and she cannot be comfortable being that big. Superworms are really fatty, so cutting those to maybe 10 a week would be a great idea. Have you tried Phoenix worms for her instead? She definitely can use to drop at least 100 grams.

PastelBeardie

Juvie Member
Well, she hasn't had a lack of food, that's for sure. :)

That's the biggest beardie I've ever seen. All that weight can't be good for her joints, either.

Crisandre

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your input. I really appreciate it. I take this matter very seriously. Saphira is part of our family; her health, and her future wealth being is very important to us.

AHBD
I will follow your advice and from now on she will get 4 super worms every other day, and as many greens and vegetables as she wants. Today I had a small victory; I tried squash again with her: yellow, butternut and spaghetti (raw and baked). She seems to like the yellow one baked so I'll keep offering that. I'll also make sure that on the days when she eats live feeders, she will chase her prey around living room in order to "catch" them. :lol:

I tried to make her exercise today. When I took her out I would let her find a place to settle in, then I would move her to a different spot so she can walk a bit more. She didn't like me much so as last resort she decided to hide on the bookshelves. :roll:

Laura
You are right about her breathing. Lately, when I would take her out, she would start to do something that looked like swallowing for a while. I stopped feeding her phoenix worms for the sole reason that she would not digest them. They would just go through her. I'm cutting off the number of supers, and I'll keep adjusting accordingly so I can get her to a healthier weight.

Pastel Beardie
I agree that all this weight is bad for her joints, exercise time incoming. :lol:

This Saturday Saphira has a doctor appointment; I want her tested for adenovirus, so I will be able to get an overall health assessment.
I will monitor her weight every week, and I will keep everyone updated about her progress.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good to hear that you are motivated + have a plan for your girl, I know you care about your Saphira. Hopefully she'll be fit + healthy in time for the beardie bikini season. :lol: Actually she might actually enjoy going outside in the warm weather, most beardies enjoy romping in the yard, she would probably enjoy that more than walking around indoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom