A Big Concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vadim

Hi, you probably haven't seen me post much because i haven't, but i've been around for a while. Anyway, i have a small problem with my dragon Gary. In the past month i've noticed this bump above his tail and i can't help but wonder if it is normal, or is it impaction..I am going off sand in the next couple of days and replacing with slate tiles, but I'm wondering if this is something to really worry about? Here are some photos to clarify. Notice how one bump is bigger than the other. Oh and he poops pretty commonly, maybe every 2-3 days.

DSCF1826.jpg

DSCF1827.jpg

DSCF1828.jpg

DSCF1829.jpg

I really do hope it is nothing, but i would appreciate if someone would enlighten me...

LJean

Extreme Poster
I really don't know what that could be. Does he run around normal? Does it seem to hurt him?

Vadim

Original Poster
Nope, fine for both. Only weird thing he does is keep trying to get through the glass doors and out after he poops >_>

LJean

Extreme Poster
Many dragons want out and away from their poo. ;)
I wish I could help with the bumps. Hopefully someone who has seen it before will pop on and see your post. I may not be able to help with the bumps on the dragon, but I can reply and bump up your post which may get you some help. ;)

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Was the tail closed in a door or crushed possibly? It wouldnt be impactaion down on the tail. I would reccomend a vet visit to be on the safe side. Cant say I have ever seen a tail like that. Sorry.

Vadim

Original Poster
Nope, never harmed him in any way. At least, to what I know. Have no other house animals, so couldn't have been them. Thanks for the replies though, I'm thinking of a vet visit so I'll see when I can get it arranged. Meanwhile, anymore ideas etc are more than welcome.

Thanks.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Im sorry I wasnt implying you harmed your dragon. Accidents do happen so if it came off that way Im sorry. Keep us posted if you find out anything.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

No, impaction would be on the middle to lower spinal areas, if there were any noticeable bulges.
Are you using any UVB lighting? If so, what type & brand are you using, a flourescent tube bulb or a compact or coil light?
Do you use calcium supplementation?
How old is Gary & could you post a picture of his entire body including his face & head please, for me? Thanks, I just want to get an overall look at him. :D

Tracie

Vadim

Original Poster
Ill post a picture later, but im going to get some of them tiles in a minute. I use a heat lamp that is like 50-60W i think, and 2 strips of UV lights, which i have no clue about :S

Calcium is a once a week thing, gary will be 2 years this christmas :)

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello,

Sorry about Gary's tail. When you come back on.....could you possibly tell Tracie the exact Brand of UVB you are using. You can look at the tube and it should have it stamped on there. Also how old are your UVB lights?

What are your temps...both basking and coolside?
What type thermometer are you measuring your temps with? digital thermometer w/probe end, stick on, temp gun?

The pic of Gary's overall body would be nice!

Tracie really needs to know the specifics to help determine what the problem might be.

Good luck with Gary!

Vadim

Original Poster
Sorry about not posting for a while. Now, since I can't find the camera at the moment, here is a picture i posted of him in the Sexy Legs Thread here:
IMG_0113.jpg

As for the UVB, they are quite old and are stuck into these holders so that i can't see the brand. But how could the UV lights even be a cause of such thing? Anyway, i think i'll but some new ones soon maybe that would help him? :S

Temperatures, i do not measure, haven't got the kit. But the viv is 18"x35" so one end is definitely much cooler than the other

Thanks.

P.S - Also today, changed the sand to some nice colorful tile :) Gary is happy, finally trim those nails down a bit :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, if those UVB lights are THAT old, I will pretty much guarantee that those bumps on his tail are metabolic bone disease related.
The lack of UVB exposure & limited calcium, his body will not be able to properly absorb calcium to maintain his bone. That can cause bone deviations such as what he is experiencing.
How long ago was that picture of Gary? He doesn't appear to have those bumps on his tail then?
He does need calcium 3 times per week, along with good quality UVB lighting exposure for a good amount of the year, with exceptions being during brumation periods.
I would recommend getting either the Megaray or the T-rex active UV heat mercury vapor bulb to help his body out of this. Also, you could also get some liquid calcium as well, which would be absorbed more quickly than the powdered calcium right now.

How is he doing today?

Tracie

Vadim

Original Poster
Well that's the thing, he's always very active..No sign of pain, no bad moods. Especially right now, since he is shedding he always runs around the place rubbing everywhere to get the skin off. The picture was taken a day before i took the lump ones. But yeah, i think ill get some UV lights and some liquid calcium to help him out asap. The thing is, when i touched the lump today, wondering if it would hurt him if i pressed it - he just sat there looking at me. And it was quite soft, like pressing a whoopee cushion, (No sound obviously). I think i'll take him to the vet soon as i can, not sure when though.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, the bumps are "soft" or hard to the touch? You mentioned that they were soft?
That is very odd. I would not think it would be a cyst or an abscess but the only way to know is to get that checked out. I recommend getting an x-ray just to check out his bone density.
If it is soft, it may not be metabolic bone disease, but I cannot physically see him so I am not sure. Are there any other deviations on him, his jawline, or anything that are not aligned properly?
Getting a new UVB light is still a good idea & the liquid calcium is going to be helpful also.
At least he appears to be feeling well & is active. Just get a checkup done on him to get those areas checked out.

Tracie

Vadim

Original Poster
Ok i will get him checked out. The lumps are soft-ish to the touch and I've just tried pressing with some force, Gary doesn't seem to mind at all. So i don't know what that means to you, but it does not seem to hurt him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom