a beardie belly question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stolzieren

Hatchling Member
so I've noticed beardies tend to carry their weight differently. what I'm wondering is, is this belly alright? she sure has quite a belly but she runs around totally fine. I've seen similar lizard bellies but I just wanted to be sure!

tumblr_nlymxlj8fa1tbu7p2o1_540.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You won't want it to drag on the ground too much, but keep in mind that their bellies change as they walk around vs pancake out to bask etc. I wouldn't let her get much heavier than that.

Stolzieren

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":qonots3z said:
You won't want it to drag on the ground too much, but keep in mind that their bellies change as they walk around vs pancake out to bask etc. I wouldn't let her get much heavier than that.

she can get quite flat as well, yes. when she runs she pulls her belly up a bit. this was sort of her resting stand I guess.
her diet consists of a variety of greens and her favorite, butternut squash. and dubia roaches. occasionally phoenix worms.
sometimes she gets a bit of fruit but not much and not often.

she also gets a ton of exercise so I'm not sure why her belly is still huge. is there anything I can do to help slim her belly a bit?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, she is a good looking girl. :) There is a good chance that she may be carrying eggs, this the time of year that some do. [ And this can be so even if there was no mating ] Watch to see signs of restlessness and digging alot.

Stolzieren

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":2t6o1o01 said:
Hi there, she is a good looking girl. :) There is a good chance that she may be carrying eggs, this the time of year that some do. [ And this can be so even if there was no mating ] Watch to see signs of restlessness and digging alot.

she is always pretty active, she was actually more restless and digging some months back and I prepared a lay box for her and everything but she never really used it.

her belly's always been this way though, but I will keep watch for any signs that she may be carrying eggs, just to be safe.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How old is she ? If she's over 14 months you can probably cut back on the insect feeding, she is a bit tubby then if she always looks that way. :)

Stolzieren

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":eyk716d6 said:
How old is she ? If she's over 14 months you can probably cut back on the insect feeding, she is a bit tubby then if she always looks that way. :)

I did not know her previous owner, so it's hard to tell her age, but I've had her for 11 months now and she was around 17 and a half inches when I got her.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She does have a nice beardie belly! A lot of them do have a nice, rounded belly. I would say if she gets around well & doesn't drag her tummy the weight is fine. As suggested, she could be carrying eggs, just a possibility also.
Once they turn a year or so old, you can decrease insects to have a larger percentage of greens/veggies for them.

Tracie

Stolzieren

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":3rgw6iw9 said:
Hello,

She does have a nice beardie belly! A lot of them do have a nice, rounded belly. I would say if she gets around well & doesn't drag her tummy the weight is fine. As suggested, she could be carrying eggs, just a possibility also.
Once they turn a year or so old, you can decrease insects to have a larger percentage of greens/veggies for them.

Tracie

thanks for the reply! I'm glad to hear. she gets around great, she can really run if she wants to as well. I've paid attention to her running the past few days and it seems her belly just barely brushes the ground at times, but she definitely doesn't drag it along the ground or anything

I do feed her more salad than insects. she's my first beardie so I did want to go with a bit older one instead since I've read the babies can be fragile. so with me she's always had a larger % of greens and veggies than bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom