90 gallon tank used for fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossm007

so my pet store is selling this used tank. the dimensions are 36x24x24. they are asking 200 for it but im thinking of trying to talk them down seeing how im going to have to clean it.
my question is wut should i clean it with to make sure i get everything in there. i heard bleach is not a good idea but i dont think just soap will do the trick.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Hi !
You are most correct in the bleach thing. I am assuming that you are talking about cleaning off the calcium deposits from hard water, yes ?
You can use lemon juice, mixed a 50/50 with water, or not. You will also need a razer blade preferably one with a handle that allows you to scrape up and down easily. This will take several times to clean off, and still there will be a residue.
Hope this helps out !
Janie.

rossm007

Original Poster
yes i was talking about removing the hard water. thanks alot for ur help janie!
i really want to upgrade stumpys home i jus dont kno if i should get this bigger one for as i said hopefully 100-150.(but have to clean it alot) or go buy a brand new 55 gallon at petsmart by my house for 150 plus tax

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
My pleasure. I used to deal in maintaining salt water aquaria, so I am quite familiar with this issue.
What size are you upgrading from ? To be honest a 55 has less of a "footprint" than a 40br or a 90.
Janie.

rossm007

Original Poster
im upgrading from a 20 gallon. hes jus a baby amd ive had him in there since i got him (2 months now) hes still only about 6-7 inches long but hes missin half of his tail. the 90 might be too big right now but i was planning on potioning it off till he grows into the new home.
do u think i should go wit the 90 and the labour, or jus go for the brand new 55? also id like it if i didnt have to upgrade again after this.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Ross, personally I would check craigs' list and garage sales for a used tank, or better yet, construct one yourself !
A 90 is nice, but really high sides, and unless you have long arms, this will be quite a chore to keep clean weekly, and daily.
You need minimum this for an adult:
36" x 18 " x 18.
Most of us use a constructed 48" x 24" x 24, this will give them lots of room for their whole life. I personally am constructing a stacking duel enclosure on a storage base for my two babies. The older one is handicapable with only 3 feetsies, so I converted a china cabinet (37" long x 41" high) with two levels, two uvbs, and spot lamps with a gradual ramp for him. He mainly stays on the top level, made like the battlements of a castle, so I don't worry about turning on the bottom lights and heat.
Since yours and my younger two are so small, you really don't want to overwhelm them with a whole lot of space, so I am trying to get mine done so by the time they are a foot in length, they will be moved into their permanent enclosures.
Janie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom