9 days, no basking, no poop. Belly covered in stress marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibbles

Ok, I've tried the mashed pumpkin and warm baths. Is prune puree safe to try? Olive oil? I think having a belly full of food and not pooping for so long is starting to really bother him. His belly broke out in stress marks yesterday and he hasn't touched his food today..Also, should I stop offering live food till he goes?

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Yes, please stop the live food for now. Prune puree is fine, as is the oil. Those should help. If you haven't massaged his tummy during a bath, try that. Work your way down from the armpit to the vent, gently, but with purpose. Bathe him twice a day. Try putting him in the bath tub. Make the water a little warmer than usual, and make it deep enough for him to have to swim. Between the higher temp and the exercise, this is often successful. Please remember to stay with him during the bath.

Please describe your set-up, especially lighting. He needs to get to basking so he can digest his food. Is he in his hide? If so, remove it to encourage him to bask. Have you checked temps? If so, what tool are you measuring with?

Nibbles

Original Poster
We did the oil & belly massage yesterday and it took a little bit(15-20 minutes), but what got him going was he freaked out a little and started swimming really fast! Instant poop! I was so relieved.

Yes, he has been hiding a lot lately and not basking.
I'll rearrange today and see if that helps.
He has two 48" Reptisun 10.0 which he can get within 8" of, basking area has a regular incandescent bulb and ZooMed Repti Spot Basking Lamp(75w). All lights are around 5 wks old. No loose substrate in enclosure. I measure temps and humidty with a probed digital thermometer. Basking area has multiple levels with varying temps. Max basking temp is about 110. Cool side stays around 75-85, never lower than 70.

Nibbles

Original Poster
Thank you! I still need to get him basking so we don't have this problem again. I'm going to try to make his basking area a little more cozy for him and take away/move his hide from the cool end. Hopefully that does the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom