8 yr old beardie sick please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's great to hear that he's eating a little, and yes be sue the foods are soft and easy to digest. Extra water in the mixture that you're feeding him is very important to get him hydrated too. Hoping to hear that he improves for you !

If it's warm where you live you can set out in the grass with him, the sun will help him absorb the calcium .

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Keep us posted on him!
Yes, if possible try to take him outside for some sunshine, that usually helps them out a lot.
We are all pulling for him.

Tracie

Lexielu182

Original Poster
Thank you yes he's doing great been feeding him this regimen for 4 days now 4 times a day butternut squash mixed with calcium powder and vitamins the vet provided also unflavored pedilyte and mooshed crickets the vet said it could be due to the move and the decline in heat they ran some test for cancer vet said she dosent feel it's cancer but she's unsure but if he passed in a week or two she feels it would be considered cancer so she said it's a uphill battle but it's possible might take about 2 months before luch gets to feeling better he's gained some weight I can tell and he will walk from one side of cage to the other now ever so often and will lift himself up and look around ever so often he's not as lethargic as he was and he's able to keep his eyes open in very happy to see him doing better he's also started to fight more with feedings and ever so often actually want the food which shows me his appetite is coming back so I'm really happy about this too and when I feed him he's able to prop himself up and also grasp my hand so I can tell he's regaining strength I'm going to continue feeding him 4 times a day I looked into the bulb situation doctor said I need to change his basking light already ordered a new one and when he's better I'll put better substrate in the cage she suggested lizard carpet again like I did when he was little because he is an older bearded

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I don't mean to be rude or intrusive, but don't you have him for sale on Craigslist right now or at least you did the last few weeks for like $300? I could go and find the thread right now, but it's really not necessary...Have been looking locally in PA for a beardie in need to adopt and I saw him last week and the week before on Craigslist, I remember him clearly because of his condition (which was even much better than this) and the poor setup/dirty sand, and distinctly remembered wondering why you were asking so much money for him in his condition with the wrong lights and such...

I'm very sorry he's gotten so emaciated, I'm not sure if you were trying to sell him because you could no longer care for him, I suspect that's the case, but asking that amount obviously didn't help and he cannot live on romaine lettuce, he shouldn't even have lettuce at all. He needs to see a certified Herp vet immediately or he's going to die. Please surrender him instead of trying to sell him for some ridiculous price.

I would have responded to your ad weeks ago and already had him to my Certified Herp Vet long ago, in intensive care getting proper care with proper equipment, had you not been asking so much money.

To show you I'm being truthful, I just adopted an 8 month old beardie with such an impaction that his spine is curved and his legs are partially paralyzed. I drove 3+ hours from State College to Pottstown on Saturday night and picked him up from a very loving family. It was a mom and dad with a little boy that was about 8 and a little girl maybe 6. They could no longer afford proper lighting, proper food, or any vet care, so they saw my ad that I was experienced and wanting to adopt a Beardie in need. They called me and were in years, begging me to help him. I met them Saturday at 6:00 in Pottstown, picked up the beardie (who weighs 3 times as much as yours even though he's impacted and paralyzed, just for reference and to stress the direness of your Beardie's situation), his large enclosure, a brand new Zilla UVB fixture that I put a Reptisun 10.0 tube in, two clamp lights, two zoomed basking bulbs, dishes, hides, thermometers, basking spots, etc. They didn't ask for a cent, only that I got him help and took good care of him and loved him because they loved him so much. They were all in tears, so was I, and I made them a promise that he would get only the best possible care. He went to see my Herp vet this morning already and has started an intensive treatment plan. He's a sweetheart and I love him already.

I wish to God you would have done the same as the selfless people that I helped this past weekend.

I'm not trying to be mean but this is very, very upsetting to me. I'm out. I hope you get him to a good Herp vet immediately, he needs tube feedings and he needs someone that does not work 12-24 hour shifts. His current condition does not allow for that.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Any updates for us today? Have you gotten any food into him?
I am hoping you can arrange your schedule to spend more time with him, so he can get
better faster. I agree, his condition does warrant medical intervention as he does need to gain weight to get his health back.
You were able to get him to the vet, correct? Did they give him any fluids or feedings while he was there? What about calcium, did they give you some liquid calcium to use also?
Please keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RudeGurl
Top Bottom