75 Gallon tank set up- am I doing this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a 75 gallon aquarium and turned it into my bearded dragon's enclosure, upgrading him from a 40 gallon tank. Does it look right? Do I need to provide him another blind besides under that basking rock? Also, I have a dome light fixture with 160 watt r40 white mercury vapor light. Is that adequate for this size tank? I moved him to this bigger tank bc he seemed stressed and hot in a 40 gallon tank. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• rocko 75 gal.jpg
    rocko 75 gal.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 2,360

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I just got a 75 gallon aquarium and turned it into my bearded dragon's enclosure, upgrading him from a 40 gallon tank. Does it look right? Do I need to provide him another blind besides under that basking rock? Also, I have a dome light fixture with 160 watt r40 white mercury vapor light. Is that adequate for this size tank? I moved him to this bigger tank bc he seemed stressed and hot in a 40 gallon tank. Any help is appreciated.
Ok first I would get 2 digital probe thermometers -- temps on the basking surface should be 95-100--- take the probe and place on the spot where he basks -- 10 min or so get the temp --- next what brand of MVB are you using? If its a Mega Ray or Power Sun 160w versions should be around 14-16'' away through a screen. I also would recommend getting another long tube UVB fixture 24" for your tank - a Zoo Med or Arcadia Pro T 5 or a Sunblaster Nano Tech most times the MVB because of distance wise they do not emit enough UVB so having the extra UVB is going to give him adequate UVB -- they give plenty of heat just not enough UVB --- if you need more help please ask

NatureNatalie

Original Poster
Ok first I would get 2 digital probe thermometers -- temps on the basking surface should be 95-100--- take the probe and place on the spot where he basks -- 10 min or so get the temp --- next what brand of MVB are you using? If its a Mega Ray or Power Sun 160w versions should be around 14-16'' away through a screen. I also would recommend getting another long tube UVB fixture 24" for your tank - a Zoo Med or Arcadia Pro T 5 or a Sunblaster Nano Tech most times the MVB because of distance wise they do not emit enough UVB so having the extra UVB is going to give him adequate UVB -- they give plenty of heat just not enough UVB --- if you need more help please ask
This is very helpful to me, thank you!I am using SolarBrite brand MVB. How can I get the light above the screen? If you see my overhead, I don't have anything above it other than my tall ceiling.

NatureNatalie

Original Poster
Also can you recommend a brand of digital probe thermometers? When I look on Amazon, they look like cooking/ BBQ thermometers.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Also can you recommend a brand of digital probe thermometers? When I look on Amazon, they look like cooking/ BBQ thermometers.
Zoo Med digital probe -- https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Digi...38377479&sprefix=Zoo+Med+digit,aps,188&sr=8-8
you want at least 2 of them
I have never heard of Solar Brite MVB I recommend you change it out all together for a more reputable MVB or go w/ just a regular clear bright white basking bulb --- like a Exo Terra Intense basking bulb --- thats a example -- but the SolarBrite is probably giving little to NO UVB --- if your going to use one of the MVB I would go w/ either the PowerSun or the Mega Ray -- if you stay w/ them you can look for a stand to set beside the tank that has a hook that will let it hang over and you can adjust the distance that way -- looks like this

NatureNatalie

Original Poster
Zoo Med digital probe -- https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Digital-Terrarium-Thermometer/dp/B07SKY2HJW/ref=sr_1_8?crid=DNI8Q2T99B69&keywords=zoo+med+digital+thermometer&qid=1638377479&sprefix=Zoo+Med+digit,aps,188&sr=8-8
you want at least 2 of them
I have never heard of Solar Brite MVB I recommend you change it out all together for a more reputable MVB or go w/ just a regular clear bright white basking bulb --- like a Exo Terra Intense basking bulb --- thats a example -- but the SolarBrite is probably giving little to NO UVB --- if your going to use one of the MVB I would go w/ either the PowerSun or the Mega Ray -- if you stay w/ them you can look for a stand to set beside the tank that has a hook that will let it hang over and you can adjust the distance that way -- looks like this
You are a wealth of information!! Thank you so much!

NatureNatalie

Original Poster
Just so I understand, I put the thermometer where he basks and wait 10 mins and get the temp? But then I move it to the cool side and check there too? Why would I need two of them instead of just moving the one? Or do you just leave them there in the hot side and cool side?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Just so I understand, I put the thermometer where he basks and wait 10 mins and get the temp? But then I move it to the cool side and check there too? Why would I need two of them instead of just moving the one? Or do you just leave them there in the hot side and cool side?
Yes you need the probe there long enough to get temp you don't need to leave there you can stick it in on the side of the tank spot check temp like once a week the other one you can leave on cool side to keep track of temps 80's

Xinko’sMama

I’m not sure about your question but I wanted to say that you seem like such a sweet beardie owner. I’m happy to see ppl take good care of their pets! I’m on the search for my own light for my beardie, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom