6 Deaths...I just need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chastityx

Sub-Adult Member
Pippyelle":3leidd0x said:
I read this...
"In some cases the virus spreads to the brain and spinal column and can cause twitching in the toes and tail tip, arching of the head and tail (stargazing), seizures, uncontrolled rolling in the enclosure and death"
At http://www.everythingreptile.org/adenovirus--atadenovirus-in-bearded-dragons.html

It sounds almost identical to the issue we are having. I don't know if I can get the funding for a necropsy. But I'm going to look into the budget. This is really tearing me up to see these poor babies wither away.

do you think it would spread to all the babies and cause that so fast? just seems odd because i've read a few members on here have had adenovirus babies that weren't that bad off. i would definitely see about the necropsy. i'd like to know as well! it's sad for the babies but it is a learning experience for others who haven't dealt with it. i really hope the other two start feeling better.

Pippyelle

Original Poster
Well I went to our records (again I don't work in the department) and found we've lost 9 and have 3 in isolation. That's in 3 weeks. We have one healthy little one. But he was with another one. So hopefully he didn't catch it. If we lose one of these babies I will be getting a necropsy done. I contacted a close by university with a fantastic zoology program and they said they could do it for lower cost than we were expecting. So I'll keep this updated as I learn things! Thank you guys for all of your help so far.

saiyan25

Pippyelle":15zszsx8 said:
I read this...
"In some cases the virus spreads to the brain and spinal column and can cause twitching in the toes and tail tip, arching of the head and tail (stargazing), seizures, uncontrolled rolling in the enclosure and death"
At http://www.everythingreptile.org/adenovirus--atadenovirus-in-bearded-dragons.html

It sounds almost identical to the issue we are having. I don't know if I can get the funding for a necropsy. But I'm going to look into the budget. This is really tearing me up to see these poor babies wither away.

I was actually going back to previous article of the Reptiles magazine about adenovirus. It looks like the website got the quote from Jan 2012 'Contageous & deadly' by Kevin Write, DVM, cited (sort of) at the bottom of the website. Anyway, I wish you luck.

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Hello,
I am so sorry to hear about all those babies. You need to quarantine any more dragons that you get from that breeder. Contact Tracie, drache613 on this forum. Send her a message and tell her whats going on. You can test for adeno without having to pay for a nercropsy. DO NOT use the enclocure that they are, or were in until you have thoroughly cleaned it. Steam is the best for adeno..120 to 140 degrees for 15 minutes. Bleach can be used but you must rinse it completely until there is no bleach smell left at all. Please let me know how things are going.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry to hear about your dragons.
There is not much it could be other than parasites, or Adeno, most likely, just basing it on your description.
May I ask what breeder they came from?

Are you going to get a necropsy done? If you would like to get them tested, let me know.

Tracie

Pippyelle

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your responses. I had the day off. But I had the remaining babies taken to a new vet that knew more about reptiles. They are doing a fecal test. If another one passes we will be doing a necropsy. I don't know where we get them.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are they doing today?
Let us know how things are coming along. I hope none of the other ones pass on you, they are so fragile when they are that tiny!

Tracie

Pippyelle

Original Poster
So..two of the three babies passed today. That brings our death count to 11. My heart is crushed. The other two are still living. One is here at the store and looking healthy and alert. The other is at the vet. They sent the little ones for a necropsy. So hopefully we will know what is going on. Apparently some of our husbandry wasnt completely correct. They could only get 6 inches to the basking light. The vet I talked to said 2 inches. So I had that fixed.

I'll update you tomorrow!

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Hello,
I don't know why your vet said they need to get that close to the basking light???? They need a basking temp of 105 -110...that has nothing to do with how close they can get to it...although in order to get that temp the basking spot is usually a high spot,,,but not 2 inches from the light. They need a Reptisun 10.0 uvb bulb that they need to get within 6 - 8 inches from,,,and the light needs to be so that nothing is blocking the rays from the dragons,,therefore it is easier to mount the uvb light inside the viv. Here is a link to an article on this site that explains the lighting very well:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=148006
I am very sorry to hear about the other babies not making it. Please let us know how things are going.

Pippyelle

Original Poster
Our store doesn't carry the Reptisun 10.0. We have a UVB 10.0 and I make sure the temperature is between 95-110 at the top. Again we are in a store so our enclosures are much smaller than they need.

Pippyelle

Original Poster
Update:

We still haven't gotten the test results back. We have recieved 6 more babies who I have isolated (including a beautiful green one I want!!) hopefully they stay happy and healthy.

Hopefully tests will be done tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stihlgirl
Top Bottom