55 long

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilStinkpot

Juvie Member
Oops.

I heard about the sale at PetCo, and had Dory get the 55 while we could still afford a big tank. I had NO idea it was that skinny! Is it OK to use, being only 13 inches wide? If we have to, we'll try to return it, but I don't know if there are any 40 breeders left in stock, because of the sale.

Maybe I can wait and get the 40 gallon later, and then have both tanks, the 55 would make a KILLER highland terrarium. :blob8:

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
Good luck with the 40 gallons, they're hard to get with this sale! I've seen some people who keep their dragon in a 55 gallon tank and make it into a climbing zone. Really depends a lot upon personal taste and decorative desires.

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
LilStinkpot":139damxt said:
Is it OK to use, being only 13 inches wide? If we have to, we'll try to return it, but I don't know if there are any 40 breeders left in stock, because of the sale.
From everything I've read, not really. At least not for an adult. I think 18" wide was the minimum width you want for an adult.

Ric

Hatchling Member
The smallest width of any cage for any animal should be no smaller than the animal is long.

You want them to be able to fully turn around without having to bend.

size.jpg

Quick paint diagram. Hope this helps.

I have a 55 now so I'm looking daily on craigslist for something better. I've found a lot but they all come with a pet....

LilStinkpot

Juvie Member
Original Poster
That's what I was thinking.

If we can find the right tank, well buy it now, otherwise I'll save up and buy a nice Zilla lidded 40 breeder I saw. It's about $120, but has a great locking lid.

Thanks for the reality check, guys!

Toyguy

Juvie Member
Maybe it's regional, but I just got my Zilla 40 at PetSmart for $80. You might want to check that out. They also said the regular price there was $100, so still a bit cheaper than your $120.

LilStinkpot

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah, I think it's regional.

Then again, maybe it was the wrong tag. This is a tank with lid, too.

We'll look again.

Toyguy

Juvie Member
Yep, mine came with the screened, lockable top also. Hopefully you can get that price. It was a pretty good deal.

LilStinkpot

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yep, we'll have to wait a bit. Teddy has a little time, and about five inches to go.

Don't worry, I'll get the right tank before Ted outgrows this one. Then it's all for Nepenthes, Heliamphora and maybe some tree frogs for the 55 long. Yeah....... :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :blob8: :blob5:

Ric

Hatchling Member
I actually wanted one with a front door but the sale made it worthwhile. Now I'll take time building a setting for the inside of it. Something I can start with my daughter and finish when she comes back for the holiday's which should be just about the right time for him to be moved into something wider.

Toyguy

Juvie Member
I'm really of two minds on the front vs top entry. I like the convenience of the front entry, plus the ability to use the top of the enclosure for hiding my lights, but I worry about the little beastie escaping as soon as I open the door :D

On the other hand, the top entry seems safer, but more inconvenient for working on the interior and dealing with lights.

In the long run, I'll probably end up with a front entry because I'll probably build a Crossfire enclosure to keep the costs down.

Dave

LilStinkpot

Juvie Member
Original Poster
What is a crossfire enclosure?

I had a thought.....
I have lots of plexi, and can get more. Hmmmm.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom