4 month beardie attacks 2 month beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

my1stBD

Juvie Member
Sorry my fault the way I wrote it, No I feed them everyday, but they have the live food every other day.
Babies and juvies need live food (As in bugs) two to 3 times every day, as much as they can eat in a 10-15 minute timespan. This can amount to approx 60-80 bugs PER DAY, only after they reach 1 year will they need less bugs and more salads

My new viv arrived this morning, so all is well again. Photo's to follow.
Awesome, cant wait to see them

Can I ask what substrate you would all recommend at the moment I am using sand but I saw a review about astro turf. I think sand is ascetically better but would be interested for some other opinions. Thanks
I prefer non particle substrates as well. I use rough textured ceramic tile and it was the best choice i ever made and am happy with it, but other options are
1. Non adhesive shelf liner
2. Astro turf / reptile carpet (There are some ppl that say the nails get stuck in it tho, and i did use it for about a month and the only issue i had was removing it so often to wash it due to my beardie pooping on it
3. Paper towels (Good for babies that poop regularly or to use till you decide)
4. Newspaper (Good for babies that poop regularly or to use till you decide)

jirish617

Hatchling Member
Like mentioned above, any non particle substrate will work. Personally I have slate tile in Lenny's current viv, but when I get a bigger one I might go towards something different. I agree I love the look of sand...and even though there is risk I have debated using it for a section of my tank only because, Lenny wouldnt eat near the sand and he doesn't even go to the bathroom in his viv, he goes in the baths everyday. So I wouldnt have to worry about bacteria. However the though of something happening still scares me away. I have thought about using some sort of rock, obviously something that the rocks are larger enough that Lenny couldn't eat, just because I think it would be different. I have only seen it a few times on here.

Well I'm glad everything is getting better!

For substrate i STRONGLY recommmend repti-carpet. Comes in green or brown. Awesome for cleaning, wont catch on nails, my beardie loves them. Again, cant say enoguh about how EASY they are to clean!!! Love them! Would never go back to sand again! :)

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Hi there!
It can be a handful getting everything set up all at once.
If you have to skip on something to start, skip on the substrate and use paper towels or newspaper because those can work just fine and be tossed as they get dirty. Lighting, Food, and Space are the priority.

Sand can cause eye problems and in babies who like to taste everything (I'm sure you've noticed) it can get into their stomachs, back them all up and cause a massive case of constipation that can be deadly. Very few people here will even use sand for their adults. It is hard to keep clean. I can point out some threads that give a lot of info on this. In my mind, it just isn't worth the risk at all. You can find some really beautiful desert looking tile to put in the bottom of your tank that you can clean with a towel..so much easier!

Anyway, I'd like to back up what has been said about live food for babies. They really really need it when they are young! It switches when they are older but as a baby it is what drives their amazing fast growth. Two or even three meals a day for fifteen mins of feeding time is the normal. Don't forget to dust! At the first feeding I dust with calcium for five days out of the week and then for the last two days, I dust with vitamins. The feeding scheduled you are describing is about right for a big grown dragon but babies are another story.
Think 90+% bugs & 10% veggies as a baby to 90+% veggies &10% bugs as a adult roughly.

Hang in there! Don't forget the pictures! I wanna see your babies :)

melpem4695

Original Poster
OMG I should have just had a child, lol :D . The new viv is tiled so I shall stick to that for now, I will amend the diet, as advised, I have the powders already and have been using them. Today I got a book so I don't have to keep hassling you guys and as I am now off for the next 3 days I will have some light reading. At this rate I will be dreaming about dragons. Pictures coming up, I will take photos of the new viv tomorrow.

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
It's no hassle at all! We've all been there. I was sent home from a typical pet store missing some very important items so it is only fair that I try to lend a hand as I myself was helped. :D LOL Just to further frustrate, take books with a grain of salt and check how long ago they were published in particular. The world of reptile care, especially, is ever changing as products are used and evaluated and either rejected or embraced. Coil bulbs and calci-sand are two good examples of that, I'd say.
You've found a great group of people who are absolutely passionate about bearded dragons. You aren't going to bother them with asking questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom