3rd beardie with loss of apetite..not again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonfam

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I appreciate that you will stop posting.

On a good and well apppreciated note..
Tracie.. your thoughts that the coil bulb may be the reason his eyes are not well might be very true. He has been under no coil light since friday morning and under the uvb strip. He has spent the vast majority of his time in the past 24 hours right under his basking lamp and next to the uvb. At this morning feeding he ate 1 medium sized cricket, and then at his afternoon feeding he ate two smaller crickets and 7 reptiworms!! He ate today more than he has collectively in like the last week. We just might be ok! His eyes also look better today.

Thanks you to the orginal poster who suggested bee pollen and yeast and for those that gave such good info on the uvb bulb.

kylesaurus

I wouldn't worry about coccidia. I had the same problem with the lights, makes all the difference, and honestly I found that trying to find the perfect uvb and the perfect distance for it is the hardest part of keeping a bearded dragon.

Now that they are eating, look for light brown/mooshy poops that smell... that's coccidia. All beardies have it, stress and sickness raise the levels.

Good luck,

-Kyle & Spike

auxone

It's something to consider. In my limited experience I've found that Coccidia can essentially self-manifest for various reasons since it's already in a dragons stomach so it's hard to trace back to a cause. It causes many of the symptoms the OP is describing. I lost my first dragon after I spent several hundred bucks on new lighting a new cages to separate my dragons (since that's the first thing people suggest, and often the only thing), when in retrospect if I had known that Coccidia existed I probably could have saved the life of one of my pets without blowing the cash.

Live a learn, I guess, but at the very least *consider* Coccidia so your bases are covered.

kylesaurus

auxone":287z3doh said:
It's something to consider. In my limited experience I've found that Coccidia can essentially self-manifest for various reasons since it's already in a dragons stomach so it's hard to trace back to a cause. It causes many of the symptoms the OP is describing. I lost my first dragon after I spent several hundred bucks on new lighting a new cages to separate my dragons (since that's the first thing people suggest, and often the only thing), when in retrospect if I had known that Coccidia existed I probably could have saved the life of one of my pets without blowing the cash.

Live a learn, I guess, but at the very least *consider* Coccidia so your bases are covered.

Of course, I don't doubt you at all. It's good to always be on the lookout with beardies beacause unlike humans (and dogs/cats for the most part) they aren't just going to tell you they are sick. My Spike has coccidia, on more week and he's done with the meds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom