3 Year Old Male - Dying or Brumation? - Vet vs. Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

masmidow

Greetings,

First, thank you all for taking the time to help others raise these dragons properly. I trust in the owners rather than the theoreticians.

I have read the article on brumation and it has encouraged me, but my vet insists that my dragon is sick and is not in brumation. However, I believe he may be incorrect, seeing as he may be after more money (so far about $1000 spent for no answers, wanting thousands more for diagnostics and hospitalization, so some potential incentive there). Let me describe the situation:

I woke up on Mother's Day to find Fred, my dragon, with his head buried. The cage floor medium he uses is walnut shells and black sand. (I just upsized his terrarium, with small wood chip medium.)

The night prior, he seemed to be fine. Nothing out of the ordinary. Now, when I found him with his head under the walnut shells, I immediately took him out. He has a black beard and a blackish belly. My understanding is that this is an ambiguous sign, from stress, illness, or mating, agression, etc.

He was undergoing what seemed to be spontaneous "seizure"-like writhing, though it's uncertain what exactly he was doing. I took him to the vet, I described everything above. They took an x-ray, did some blood work, and hooked up a catheter with fluids and antibiotics. He only did this writhing action in my presence at home, not while at the vet. His bone density was fine and no immediate answers. So, I took him home being assured by the vet that he has a cancer or virus, yet he didn't seem confident on either and was primarily speculating on the "seizure" movement that he never witnessed.

Fred seems lethargic now and still has a black beard and belly. I've been trying to get some water through dropper. His tongue moves to lick the dropper. He seems kind of limp, very lethargic. His breathing has ranged from normal to shallow to seemingly not at all, alternating between these states.

I apologize for this long description, but seeing as this is where people actually care about these creatures, as opposed to the vet, I am hoping someone could help me to understand what these signs really mean.

The vet says that he's sick because when he heated him and pumped him with fluids (gently through a catheter), Fred should have been active. Yet, I hear in other posts that during brumation these guys can be essentially "unresponsive" for months on end. Fred was on the cooler side of his cage when I found him and he may have tried to bury himself. The vet says, "well, maybe he thrashed and happened to bury his head."

What are your thoughts? Thank you immensely for your patience and care!

Michael

Note: I understand that "the vet knows best", but really he didn't seem all that caring, more of a "ya, ya, well that's how it is" type of guy. Again, I trust people who have seen their dragons go through all circumstances more than a guy who specialized in avian medicine, not specifically reptile.

Fred isn't going through the writhing now. It's more like he occasionally tries to reposition himself. Very hopeful that I am being worried about nothing, but would like the truth in the matter.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there...I'm sorry about Fred's situation ! It is definitely not brumation....a dragon is sleepy but will move slowly during brumation, not act ill once they are awakened or have a black beard + belly. It is possible that he's impacted from the walnut shell....that stuff is not digestible as the makers claim. I myself know that many vets are O.K. with reptiles but just as many are not knowledgeable at all, but I think there is def. something wrong. Ask the vet if there's a chance of impaction....look online to see what it looks like on X-ray + compare it to yours.

masmidow

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, the vet cleared him of impaction. He's ok in that regard. I am going to the reptile store here to get him some soluble multivitamin designed for dragons. Hoping to boost his immune system. I will take any other suggestions and courses of action. I am trying to do anything and everything to ensure his health. Please advise me, thank you so much.

masmidow

Original Poster
What is the best way to fight bad parasites, if possible, something I can do at home? I gave him probiotics and various multivitamins. He responds well to it, but he hasn't opened his eyes for some time. He licks a little with his tongue, so he definitely has some responsiveness. Please advise, thank you!

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Sorry hes not well. Can you give us a rundown of the set up? Lights? Temps? How you take them? As AHBD stated that walnut subtrate needs to go. I'd use paper towels for now until you can figure out whats wrong.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

One thing, did he exhibit any black beard, etc prior to putting in the walnut shell/type of bedding?
Some of those bedding substrates such as walnut shell or other wood chips, have been shown to be toxic so that could possibly be causing a neurological problem.
I would consider removing that substrate & using either paper towels or non adhesive shelf liner to see if there is any improvement first.
I agree though, based on his physical actions, it doesn't sound like a brumation phase.

We can help also, with your setup too, such as type & brand of UVB light, temperatures, etc if you can post those for us, too. Do you have a picture of him also?

Tracie

masmidow

Original Poster
I am not sure of the temps he's been exposed to, but definitely within comfortable range and there were hot basking areas and cooler spots.

They shouldn't sell those damn things (walnut shells)! Ignorance on my part.

Currently what you see is a rehabilitation layout, no food or water bowl or terrain. He can't make use of that stuff currently.

He was gasping earlier, but after his bath has settled down a bit and appears to be breathing well, for now.

He hasn't opened his eyes for a while and it seems like they're stuck a little with blackish eye goo.

I am trying to hydrate him by baths now instead of direct dropper to mouth. I will only try to get his liquid vitamins and probiotics by mouth for now.

He is very irritable when I try to hold him or place him and has the energy to thrash violently. So, I've placed clothing by the glass walls to prevent harm from thrashing his head.

The vet says that it shouldn't be an infection, based on normal white blood count and another cell I can't recall. His bone density is fine. Vet thinks possibly inflammation, but without further (multi thousand dollar) tests, there are no conclusive results.

He is resting on a warm mat as well.

Just hoping the power of nature and nutrition can get him through this. Any advice?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor boy...I'm afraid he is very sick.... it may be somehow related to the substrate. He looks a bit thin + dehydrated as well. Something very serious is going on and I hope he pulls through, but he does look very far gone. :( Maybe put him in another temp. enclosure and clean all the substrate out + wipe down his tank, see if he can rally if the possible toxins are gone. EDIT *** I see that you have done that....good start !

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Awwww the poor guy doesn't look well at all :( . That red light needs to go. He needs a bright white bulb. Do you have a cermic heat emitter? That would be good to keep his immune system up at night. Don't use that red light at night he needs complete darkness to sleep. I still can't see what kind of uvb? Coil/compact or tube? He looks really dehydrated. Have you been giving him water through a syringe? Does he eat at all?

SDragon

Juvie Member
Sorry your lizard is unwell and the vet hasn't been able to identify the cause. unfortunately that isn't brumation.

Why are you not trying to hydrate orally anymore, if you have to give him medicine orally I would use that as an opportunity to hydrate, rather than stress him by bathing which is useless unless he actually drinks.

I think you should get those temperatures checked, when nursing a very unwell lizard I dont think it wise to guess at these things. You'll want to make sure his night temps don't get too cool as well.

How has his appetite been recently? Had he been losing weight as above, he looks thin for a lizard that became ill on Sunday.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with Sdragon,DO give him water orally with the syringe and go very easy on the liquid vitamins and be careful he doesn't choke. His illness is not caused by a vit. deficiency, and too much vitamins or anything can overtax him in his weak state. Bathing does not really hydrate them, water intake is through the mouth, not the vent.

Sdragon, go easy on OP....he is trying his best and doing everything that he can. Many people think that dragons get hydrated through their vent, that's been around for a long time.

masmidow

Original Poster
In all honesty, being a new bearded dragon owner, I am definitely very ignorant. This latest wake up call is making me take everything about his care way more seriously.

I appreciate the hydration information. I was also under the impression, due to other peoples' comments, that baths were a good source of hydration. I will focus on giving water to him orally. My fear is that if he isn't completely coherent he will accidentally allow water to go down the wrong pipe, which would exacerbate his condition.

His diet hasn't been optimal. It has primarily consisted of the pink little bearded dragon squares. I know that is horrible, but I've tried to present him with vegetable mixes in the past and he doesn't go for them. Regardless, in the future, God willing, I will spend extra time to make him eat his greens. You're right, he does seem thin. Let this be a lesson to posterity that ignorance is no excuse. I feel bad.

I just upgraded his tank to a 48" x 16" x 16". The lights use bulbs. He previously was in a 36" x 16" x 16".

Unfortunately, the red lamp is the only one we currently have for heat. The other one is a white light source, but little heat. I will get one tomorrow, assuming he remains with us. Perhaps he's been very stressed because of this.

He's also on a heated mat. So, warming his belly.

Should I try to get the goo out of his eyes? What would be the best way to try this?

As for his past hydration, he's been primarily extracting it from food. He doesn't take to standing water bowls.

His appetite, before the incident, was good in my opinion. It seemed like everyday he went for food.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can get a bright white basking light at the pet store or a halogen bulb from Lowe's or Walmart. The red one can be left on until then, but no light at night. He doesn't look terribly thin, it's partly the angle, but he is probably dehydrated some but that alone wouldn't cause all this trouble. And I can certainly understand your hesitation in offering any oral fluids for fear of aspiration....you can do so very slowly + gently and watch to see that he swallows as it goes in. For his eyes, try a wet Q-tip or wadded paper towel and gently dab at his eyes.

By the way, did the vet check his airway to see if he was clogged with substrate by chance ?

masmidow

Original Poster
I seriously hope he would've told me, but the x-ray indicated that there was no impaction present. Ya, regarding his physique, he looks comparable to other dragons seen online. Really, all of this was sudden. He seemed well, then it went to hell.

During his trip to the vet, he had an IV for about a day pumping fluids and antibiotics. I have given him significant amount of fluid in that time. His current state of hydration should hopefully be satisfactory.

Does anyone have an opinion on the use of colloidal silver as a supplement to help fight bacteria and infection? Not sure if he truly is suffering from this. Also, on northerndragons.info I've seen mention of Grapefruit Seed Extract and Bee Pollen. They would've probably been best as preventatives, but I'm wondering if I could slowly introduce these into his food intake, they appear to be super foods.

Also, thank you all again for investing your time and energy into my problem, Fred's problem. God bless!

I'll definitely get that ceramic heat emitter tomorrow. Sounds good, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom