250 watts too much?! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys, i just bout a 250 watt clear flood bulb at ace hardware for 3$...
im afraid itll be TOO hot for the babies im picking up tmrw. i can always go in and buy a smaller wattage.
my tank is a melamine 4 x 2 x 2 (48 x 24 x 24)
there are roughly 15 inches from bottom of bulb to bottom of enclosure
will it kill the little guys? =[
will it be between 100-110?
what kind of thermometer do you guys recommend? brand and where you bought it too please =] (btw, my walmart doesnt have squat s***! half the time its empty)
i tried a turkey thermometer (LOL) and it was about 110, but then again i highky doubt that needle is accurate.
i have adhesive plastic tiles, do i still need newspaper/towel?

THANKS!

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
OMG THAT IS WAY TOO MUCH!! I had a 75 watt flood I tested in my 50 gallon custom tank and within 5 mins the temp was 117 degrees. 250, you will bake your dragon.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree with Laura, that is most likely WAY too hot.

You NEED to get an accurate measuring device. You should be able to pick up a cheap digital thermometer with probe end from any petstore, and I'm pretty sure you can find temp guns at places like radio shack.

Just for comparison, I use 45-60 watt bulbs in my tank.

-Brandon

krolmariusz

Original Poster
i just got a 100 halogen bulb and its doing about 115, (bought a digital thermometer at petsmart) is that a safe temp for 3 week old babies?

Mustashio

Juvie Member
I just posted on your other question about the heat and a dimmer switch might be helpful.

As far as the enclosure goes you should be fine with what you have. Sand is generally not used for baby beardies, because they can ingest it in their quest for crickets, and then get impacted. We just made a new viv for Mustashio with tile, and we had reptile carpet before. I loved the carpet for its ease of cleaning. I bought 2 of them and when one was too soiled, I threw in a clean one and washed the other. It was great. Have only had 12 hours with the new viv and the tile, so I can't say on that, but I don't think you need newspaper or towels in addition to the tiles. I did put a little snuggle rug under his hide so there is something soft in there for him. We are still adding decor to his new viv. Here are some pics.

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

Please post some pics of your new baby! We love pictures!!
~Jill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom