Status
Not open for further replies.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Are you using either a Temperature Gun or a Digital Probe Thermometer to check her Basking Spot Surface Temperature with? How about her Cool Side Air/Ambient Temperature? They do this a lot if their temperature zones inside their tanks are too hot, and they also do it if they are under a UVB light that is inadequate or in the case of most all Coil/Spiral UVB bulbs and many popular brands such as Zilla, All Living Things, ReptileOne, Trixie, and many others, they emit harmful light rays that cause eye damage, neurological issues, blindness, etc. Sometimes they'll continually try to climb to get closer to the UVB light if the light is a Compact or Coil light that is far too weak, or it's a T8 strength UVB tube and it's sitting on top of a mesh lid to the tank, as T8 UVb tubes are too weak to deliver adequate UVB light through a mesh lid.

Ownerofzellakelso

Original Poster
No I’m using 3 regular thermometer that they recommended from petco & petsmart. I’m using a long 18” slimline from Zilla.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's important to get accurate surface temperature readings so I suggest using a digital thermometer (one for each side) or a temp gun as suggested. These are good options https://www.amazon.com/Nubee-Temperature-Non-contact-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B00CVHIJDK or a couple of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017N8W90/ Once you have accurate surface readings you can adjust the lighting to get a good gradient across the tank.

The Slimline fixture is good for a T8 but be sure to remove the clear plastic that sits in front of the bulb as that will intercept all of the UVB. Are you using the Desert 50 bulb that comes with it? That should sit about 6-8'' above the basking area to be most effective.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You can mount the Zilla tube bulb underneath of the screen top, at a distance of 6-8 inches
from your dragon. Does the light seem to be hurting his eyes any at all?
Be sure that the basking light is directly beside the tube bulb also, to create a nice heat +
UVB area for him.
I hope he is doing well!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Welchy2000
Top Bottom