2 week trip--what do i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newmommy

Hey all, remember this: I am new to beardies.
With that being said, I am taking a 2 week trip and I cannot take him with me, what do I need to do? I no know one in the state I live in, So asking a friend or neighbor is out. Basically the only thing I can do is either pay for him to go to a place where they sit animals or leave him with a timed light and some food. As some of you may already know I am having problems with him not getting enough attention as it is, so I would hate to do that--if that is even possible. Okay wait a minute--posting this makes me feel awful and I realize now that there is no way I can leave him for two weeks unattended right? I mean that is just too long right? OR have some of you done it? My poor beardie, I love him so much and I have even been thinking lately about selling him to someone else so he can have more attention. But I don't want to let him go either, I have read here numerous times that they do not like change--so I would hate for him to deal with the change of new people.

Please people, help me what do I need to do? What do I do for the two week trip I am taking? And do you think I should be looking into replacing him with a new home? I love him and I want the best for him. I feel like this post makes me sound so miserable and I am scared to post it to all you beardie lovers, I am one too, I just got a lot on my plate right now. I thought my family was going to help me with the care of him, but I was wrong, I am the only one who gives our beardie any attention. Help???

Thats a pickle. The longest I have left Monster home alone was 3 days. I bathed him right before leaving and stuffed him with crickets and greens. I also left him a ton of greens and a full water dish. Came home and he was passed out on his branch like a lazy dinosaur. What state are you in? I know some Petsmarts have Pet hotels, not sure how much they cost but you could look into that. I don't know what plane restrictions are for reptiles but if you are flying you could see if you could bring your beardie with you and set up a temporary tank on your trip...

beardedneato

Sub-Adult Member
Many vets will board animals so I would check with your vet if you have one already.

For the past two years we have taken Neato with us on car trips. He stayed with us in a beach condo for a week a last month. It is not half as hard as I had thought it would be. Just more things to carry.

BlueDevil

Hatchling Member
I wouldn't leave him unattended for two weeks. Maybe contact a local vet or even a dragon breeder that maybe you can pay to sit while you are away? Anyhow I hope it works out for you! :D

spyder79

Extreme Poster
how old is he? An adult/sub adult coul be put into a semi brumation for t weeks no problem (ie withhold food for three days prior, make sure he poops, then lights out) wouldnt cause amy problems..

newmommy

Original Poster
First off thanks for your thoughts, and for not reaming me, I thought for sure people would reply back and say two weeks are you even hearing yourself? Not until I got to really thinking about taking the trip and writing this did it really hit me that two weeks is just way too long and impossible. I really do love him and am not a bad beardie mama, it is just i ma so busy right now I can't even hear my own thoughts!
Anyway's the thing is, I just CANT take him. It is a 20 hours drive and he got throught that before, but the problem is I am giong to families homes that have just said NO-NO WAY. so with that, I am going to look into petsmart but I am almost certain it will be too high. ANd I will look into beardie breeders. But i live in Waco texas, so if anyone on here can help then hey please do.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
newmommy":21wo4wzb said:
First off thanks for your thoughts, and for not reaming me, I thought for sure people would reply back and say two weeks are you even hearing yourself? Not until I got to really thinking about taking the trip and writing this did it really hit me that two weeks is just way too long and impossible. I really do love him and am not a bad beardie mama, it is just i ma so busy right now I can't even hear my own thoughts!
Anyway's the thing is, I just CANT take him. It is a 20 hours drive and he got throught that before, but the problem is I am giong to families homes that have just said NO-NO WAY. so with that, I am going to look into petsmart but I am almost certain it will be too high. ANd I will look into beardie breeders. But i live in Waco texas, so if anyone on here can help then hey please do.
HOW OLD IS HE???

Like I said if he is old enough you can safely shut him down for 2 weeks.

MALIBUSMOM

Gray-bearded Member
800-367-7387heres a # i found online.. Best Friend Pet Sitters..google for more in your area....some vets do it also....most pet stores...

newmommy

Original Poster
hey syder79, he is about13 or 14 months old. is that old enough? if so, how do i do that? what is that about?

spyder79

Extreme Poster
newmommy":1s8zc090 said:
hey syder79, he is about13 or 14 months old. is that old enough? if so, how do i do that? what is that about?
yes at over a year he is old enough to be shut down for a bit.

like i said in my initial post. withhold food 2-3 days out. Make sure he passes a bowel movement so that his system is empty. then just shut the lights down.

MALIBUSMOM

Gray-bearded Member
I would really not recomend leaving him for 2 weeks w/o food and proper hydration.....What are you going to do if you come home and find he has passed???
You will have to live w/ this on your concience.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
He would be in a state similar to brumation. Heat controls their metabolism with no heat they will be fine with no food/water for 2 weeks. When a dragon brumates it can be as long as 6 months with zero food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom