2 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgnfly2265

Sub-Adult Member
Ok, first question - Can I still handle my beardie when I sick? I think that it's just a head cold (I started feeling it yesterday, now it's sore throat, sniffles and all that fun stuff). I don't want my beardie to get sick too, but I just want to make sure.

Second question - I just bought a new UVB bulb light fixture (it holds an 18" long UVB tube light). My question is that where the light tube goes in there a clear plastic cover that goes under it. I'm guessing so that the tube wont fall out? But when I put the light tube in I had to turn it a little so there is no way it can fall out... So I'm wondering if that clear plastic covor will block the UVB rays :? ? Like how a window will block most of the suns UVB rays that shine in... I hope this makes sense :oops: I'm not feeling so good right now :cry:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, sorry to hear that you're not feeling well. Beardies can't catch upper respiratory symptoms from us, so go ahead and hold your beardie.

As far as that plastic cover goes, it needs to be removed as UV rays can't go through plastic or glass.

Hope you feel better soon.

WOW! i was thinking the same thing!!! i'm sneezing all the time now the throat has passed. and i haven't been having as much contact with my beardie thinking he may get something. haha thanks <3 get well, i'm off to get my little BD out of his tank :D

drgnfly2265

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you! I was so afraid to give her my cold, lol.

And about the light thing. Why would a company put a cover over the light since it blocks out the UVBs that its suppose to give off, lol. That is just crazy. I guess its for some kind of safety reason for the company? Oh well, I'm going to go take it off now :blob5:

Thank you for your help :D

LilStinkpot

Juvie Member
Perhaps to protect it during shipping.

Is the light fixture designed for UV lamps? If not, that cover was likely placed there to keep in the UV. I've seen halogen desk lights with a UV filter on them.

drgnfly2265

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
LilStinkpot":15z1w9eb said:
Perhaps to protect it during shipping.

Is the light fixture designed for UV lamps? If not, that cover was likely placed there to keep in the UV. I've seen halogen desk lights with a UV filter on them.

The instructions says that after I replace the old bulb for a new one to put the clear cover back on it. Yep, it it meant to hold UVB tubes for reptiles so thats what i didn't understand, lol.

LilStinkpot

Juvie Member
Haha! That's pretty rich.

Yes, I'd rather leave the cover off. Though I'd like to see someone study the effects of the plastic with a UV meter, and if the results are as we expect, send them to the makers of the fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom