2 Light System or Single Bulb with UVA and UVB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushu15

Currently using a Solar Heat Mercury Vapor bulb. Picked up a National Geographic one today since my coworkers at Petsmart didn't know if it was comparable to the Zoo Med or not. So my first comment is it is pretty worthless. In the 5 hours I've had it, it has gone on and off at least 10 times. Any idea if its just a crappy bulb or if there is something I'm doing wrong?

Secondly, is a two light system better for them than the single bulb? I'll be headed back to Petsmart later tonight and wanted an idea of what I should be doing.

Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Based on my testing, the Nat Geo MVBs are garbage. If you want to stick with a MVB I suggest using either an Arcadia or a MegaRay bulb. How big is your enclosure? for smaller enclosures with a single basking area I suggest going with a tube style UVB light and a basking bulb. A T5 with a reflective fixture is the best option. If you can't get your hands on a T5 then a T8 ReptiSun 10.0 will do the trick. It will need to be mounted closer to the basking area to provide adequate output though. The T5 has an optimal output at around 12-14'' above the basking area while the T8 has an optimal output at 6-8''.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I like the two bulb system to easier control UV and heat separately. It's a bit more flexible that way, at least for me. The bulbs cooper mentioned are really good MVB, I'm not so keen on the nat-geo products in general.

ruben0311

Juvie Member
only experience ive had with the nat geo stuff Is the deco, nice and sturdy stuff IMO, the large viv they sell seems pretty nice also, just need to watch temps with large screen it uses on the side, but excellent humidity control if you want it dry

Ed707

Hatchling Member
Either way you'd need 2 bulbs. If you use a t5 flourescent fixture you'd need a second fixture for heat. If you use a mvb (I highly suggest only using a high quality mvb like megaray or arcadia) you'd still need a 2nd bulb to provide extra heat and bright white light to protect your lizards eyes. I see alot of people only use mvb's as a heat and uvb source and I'm not saying that it's wrong but from what I've researched and what my own personal experience is the mvb's won't get hot enough on there own at the suggested distance. My megaray gets about 90-95 degrees, moving the bulb closer for the needed heat then drastically raises the uvb levels, which can lead to burns. A safe way to go if you don't have a solarmeter is with a flourescent t5 fixture, just make sure your lizard can get directly under it at 10-12 inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom