2 bearded dragons.. 1 cage? + eye popping question

Status
Not open for further replies.
aight.. so i tried putting the 2 together under extremely close watch... moved them to my desk so i can watch them together.. everytime i leave, i put them back in they're own cage... now.. how do i know its ok to leave them together under my watch... im extremely paranoid so everytime they walked near eachother i put them back.. now.. they chill side by side with theyre arms around eachother.. but im still afraid to leave them with out my watch... so .. anyone know when its ok to stop worrying and watching them and know they are ok together.. and.. speaking of which.. i was just watching them.. and Stoli (one of the beardies) just looked up at the light and pushed his eyes out.. scared the crap outta me.. what does that mean??????

Freeie

Extreme Poster
You shouldnt leave beardies together at all they dont like company. They are a solitary reptile they can hurt and even kill one another.We have alot of beardie owners on this site who have beardies who are missing arms legs eyes due to having more than one in a viv. Some even happened when they were babies. Id recomend keeping them apart at all times unless your going to put them together to breed and thats about it.

They eyebuldge sometimes usually when they are sheading or getting ready to shead its 100% normal its a bit freaky to see *shivers*

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
I want to let you know there was a person on this website that had their two bearded dragons together for almost three years.
THREE YEARS

Came home one day to a cage filled with blood, the one dragon chewed the other dragon's tail to nothing, and had to go to the vet to get the rest amputated.
Well the person came home with a hurt bearded dragon and it only got worse. Because of such a high amputation, the testicles fell out of the dragon which had to be amputated as well.

So really just leave them in their separate homes they will be a lot happier.

hawaiianonymous

Original Poster
u know what.. as soon as i read that.. b4 i even finished reading it.. i saw the blood part and i like grabbed them outta the cage and put them im theyre own cages.. it sucks bc i had a long conversation with the breeder i bought the 2nd one from.. (bloodbankdragonz) and he acted like they're was not going to be any problem.. as if it were normal to put two in the cage together... now im kinda upset bc i told him i only wanted 2 to keep eachother company in the same tank.. all he said was "yeah thats great".. i wasnt ready to buy 2 large seperate tanks.. :-/ but thank you guys..

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah they really don't need company at all, glad you chose that decision.
The company they need is you, some people like to take them out on the floor together to neutral ground
Honestly...i would do that as well but always keep an eye on them, and don't turn your back.

I remember watching a youtube video of a guy who wanted to see how they would react, and they started fighting and people scolded him for it, honestly, people were quick to judge I would want to see if they could be brought out together as well.

But I am rambling, ramble ramble ramble

hawaiianonymous

Original Poster
no i kinda did the same thing.. i started by pushing theyre glasses together.. then slowly held one in the others cage.. and eventually let them chill on other sides of the cage.. and well. now.. they chill'ed' on top of eachother.. and kept doing that tongue licking thing on eachother.. but ur right better play it safe then sorry... now im ramblin.. ;-)

WOW thank you so much for the information I have not been around in a while.... anyways a friend of a friend has a beardie and they are tired of it and just want to get rid of it (whatever that means) so my husband (who knows absolutely nothing about beardies lol god bless him!!!) said that I would love to have it!!!! Well I was not happy when he told me we were getting another one but we have Omar in a huge viv so we thought we would just put them together.... no problem .. so I thought I would just check in here and see what I could find out... Thank God I did!!! I will Definitely NOT put them together!!!!!!!!!!! I love this site.... Thanks again Lola

MadMeeper

ok, I've kind of got something to add onto this.

I have two females in the same 50 gallon tank, and they get along fine so long as I separate their green food. They are also siblings, and are the same size. I have no idea if that has anything to do with it, but oh well. xP After watching them for 4 years, they seem to have a very odd, but stable, relationship. They seem a lot more happy and active together as opposed to the male and smaller female that have their own cages. Just wondering... is this normal or "good?"

And yes, I do separate them when I go on trips, I'm not that dumb. :roll:

Pravius

Juvie Member
This is the deal. Many breeder will keep their females together in one cage and that typically will not have an issues... keeping males in the same cage is a big NO! They will fight for food, dominance, ect ... You are going to get a different opinion from everyone truthfully and most of them will be extreme because people on this forum really care for their dragons and the well being of dragons everywhere... rightfully so.

Long story short do what works for you, however know this. There is a possibility that your dragons will fight and possibly kill each other. While the risk goes down if they are multiple females there is a chance it "could" happen.

Just wanted to put my .2 cents in.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
My turn !
I have 3 dragons, all male, and all NOT interested in being challenged by the others. They all are in vivs, side by side, and when I open one to even feed or clean, the other two black beard all up and start bobbing. So, nope, never two together, the chances are just too slim for it working out !
One of these 3 boys, was indeed the victim of a tank mate. He lost 2" of tail, the right hind foot, and several toes before being removed.
Why take the chance ?
Janie.
My .25... inflation you know.... ;)

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I have 9 beardies which all have their own domains/castles/enclosures. (Exception Z&W for appearent reasons) I have in the past housed beardies together an luckily I had no problems that were visible. I seperated all my beardies into their own homes about 1-1/2 years ago. I'm so very happy that I did...because even though it wasn't appearent to the naked eye that there was stress going on...there was. They really do enjoy having their own territory as in the wild they are solitary creatures and territorial at that. And would only come together for breeding and back to their own spot.
I feels it's very unfair to house a solitary creature with another. :(

Hey I went to the pet store yesterday I needed a MVB and couldn't wait on my order so....anyway while I'm in there a lady about my age comes in with her husband they just picked up 3 beardies from CL that were the same age from the same clutch...they supposedly were sub-adults....all three were of different size especially one of them was not even half the size...one had a mangled legs to the point of needing to be amputated. What I'm getting at is this could have all been avoided if only they had not been housed together.
1) The middle size one would not be missing a front arm. :cry:
2) The little one would have had a chance to not live in fear and possibly thrive. :cry:

well my only question is this. if you get them at a really young age and from the same breeder, how do you think they had them housed? surely a breeder does not separate every baby into a diff viv. and every single petstore/ reptile specialty store, keeps up to a few dozen together, and they seem fine. personally at the petsmart i work at we have 3 right now, they all came together, in the same cage and they are okay. so it is possible right? or do you think that it is a sure thing that someday they will fight?

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
True breeder do not separate every single one though I'd like to think that most of them would separate the smaller from the larger at least. (I do) Also it is at about 6 to 12 weeks that beardies are most likely to start displaying a stronger territorial attitude...I truly believe that by 3 months a beardie should have it's own domain not be forced to coexist with another when they are by nature a solitary creature. JMO

Many people have housed more than one together for many years even...when one day...just out of the blue with no signs leading up to it...one will mall or kill the other. Fact

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Just wanted to add to the question about housing them together at a very young age, even if they are from the same clutch.
My beardie Foster lost his right front leg to a clutch mate at 4 weeks old, so the aggression can happen at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemommma
Top Bottom