18 Month Old Male is not eating much...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjosephs

Hi all,

I've had my guy for almost 2 years… got him form the local pet store at a few weeks old. He ate like crazy when he was young and swelled up to about 350 grams at about 8 months - the diet then was crickets and weekly greens, with 1 dusted feeding/day (5 calcium and 2 multi-vitamins per weeks). Then he stopped eating anything for about 4 months and worried the crap out of me. I tried lot's of different foods and he started to eat super worms daily and every other month I'd get him hornworms. For a long time the volume of food he's eat was high. Now he's back in one of those phases again where he goes weeks without eating a bug or touching his greens.

For greens I cycle between collards, dandelions, mustard and kale. I augment that with broccoli, bell pepper, green beans, squash, and shredded carrots.

Since I've read enough threads to know the standard questions:

The tank is a home-made 4X2X2' wooden viv with glass doors. He has a bright/warm side and a dimmer/cooler side. There is a hide on each side, branches to climb on and and hammock in the upper corner of the cool side. Ones the light come on in the morning his basking spot peaks at about 110, the general warm side is in the high 80s/low 90s, the cool side stays above 80 all day. The main basking spot has a Megaray 80 watt, just took the place of an Ardadia 80 watt.

He thermo and phot regulates and spend lot's of time under his lights. I'm not home every day, bey every day I am home he has a 2 hour peak activity period where he marches around and explores, usually I take him out and let him scour the apartment.

I guess I'm saying that he generally acts healthy and energetic… just without fuel. If he going through a phase?

By the way he get's a few baths a week and water from a dropper at least once per week. He is reasonable about handling but is definitely uncomfortable being carried.

Brian

ReptileVision

If your beardie isn't eating, I might think he was entering brumation, but you seem to be saying he is still active. If this is so, than brumation could not be happening because during brumation, your beardie won't move much. Another reason he may not be eating is beacause of a mild impaction. You should take him to the vet and have the vet check his poop for signs of parasites or illness. Maybe you should try changing his diet or feeding more palatable foods. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom