------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vermundor

Hatchling Member
((I had a thread up in another section that asked about medium sized lizards. I watered it all down to these two species.))

My sister is looking for a medium sized lizard to keep. She's really into the carnivorous ones, and with my help, she wants to raise one from a baby. We already have a 29 gallon high for the lizard, and plan to buy him a very large metal trough when he gets older and make a really nice tank out of it. The issue we're having is that my parents are worried that the savannah monitor can potentially hurt us if it has a rotten temperament or/and especially during feeding time.(That's why they're leaning towards saying no.) I'm also worried as well, considering she'll be off to college in the city in about a year and a half and for half the week I'd end up taking care of him during that time.

Temperament wise, which species is generally a calmer and less aggressive lizard? Also, which species is easier to "tame"? She's never owned a lizard before, so I'll end up helping her and I'd prefer to get an animal that is easier to tame so I don't have to worry too much about her being unable to handle him/her. I want the lizard to live a stress free life, which requires it being comfortable around us.

I'm trying to find a local place that sells tegus so we don't have to get it shipped. However, a few tegu vender links would be great. There's also a local place that sells Savannah's for about $60 since they're hatched on a farm and imported to the U.S.

Any info would help! Also, positive feedback and care sheets would be great to help persuade my parents. Hopefully if I get enough information in this thread, I can show it to my parents and they will get a full overview of the species.

Thanks!

Edit:

Questions on tegus- do they really hibernate 7 months out of 12? How much does their care differ from savannahs?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Scratch that, my sister found a roaming parakeet and is going to keep him if no one claims him. ^-^ This means no savannah, which I'm glad about since they're known for their aggressiveness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom