136 Gallon enclosure [pics, design's, idea's]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevindeeley12

Juvie Member
Hi, I start my 136 gallon enclosure tomorrow, the measurements are 48X27X24. (LXWXH) I'm doing the door affect for the front, 2 hinged doors that open up seperately ( outwards ) if you know what I mean. I'm not sure on the ventilation yet, 2 on the back for sure, not sure about the sides, and im also going to have a removable top with a metal screen for dual entrances. I'm definately using some sort of ceramic tile. Here's a few pics of the ideas i have on Google Sketch :

enclosureperfect2.jpg

:)

enclosureperfect1.jpg

You building that on its own stand? Or is it going to be on the floor or just on a desk/dresser?? I think Something that big makes a good piece of its own... Maybe think about building a base to raise it off the floor like.. 24-36 inches (from the bottom of the tank). If you use an under-tank heater of any kind, it would help get it off the surface, AND, if you build a cabinet for storage (crix, worms, lights, incubator, etc) and build it right, you could potentially provide a little bit of warmth for the things in the storage part.

Just some ideas. I drew up a corner concept dual-enclosure on Google Sketch, but the finished thing is transparent... how do you get it to be solid color? I thought I tried everything. When I get it finished, I'll post it up here. (I might need you to show me how to do that though)

kevindeeley12

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I am building a surface for it to be on, basically a maple table/stand kind of thing that connects to my wall and has 2 legs on the front, and we arent using vent's any more because the entire top is going to be mesh ( a lid that comes off ) and were having 2 doors on the front that open like a regular door would. We've decided on maple for the wood of the tank, and 1/8" thick glass for the doors. Everything is going to be custom, it's gonna be cool. I don't think i have enough skill to make a big bad background like everyone else but i might give it a shot.

If anyone knows what to use to seal wood, please tell me. People at the Home Depot don't even know what I'm talking about when I explain it and have no clue what the solution would be. I basically just need a name/brand of what you guys have been using.

It's pretty cool though, my parents are buying all of the supplies and even a MegaRay 160W I just ordered as a present for my birthday which is coming up. So that was pretty good to hear. Seeing as I am an unemployed bum.

A good shellac or sealer would be good... regardless of what you use to seal it, make sure it has PLENTY of time to dry and vent out. Fumes that might just give US a headache could KILL your beardie...

As per building a "cool" background... I've seen (somewhere- here, another site) people use cooler foam, and the spray-insulation used for doors and windows (tough-stuff????) to hold it together... Bond the foam together, let it set, cut desired size/shapes/caves/texture.... Then seal/waterproof the foam with "natural" colored sealer (multiple coats), dry, and install. Make sure you mock things up within the tank first to be sure of fit...

There are other ways that start off looking like papermache sculpturing that do as well... Talk to artsy-people or check out the enclosures link(s) to see and learn about how to make it realistic....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom