1 yr old beardie won't eat veggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellaqt

Hi, I just got my bearded dragon bout two days ago and all I've seen him eaten are about apples and calabaza squash as well as crickets, but I'm more concerned with his veggies. I've tried to get him to eat collards, corn, papaya, mint leaves, watermelon, etc. But he won't eat it. As well as I never see him eat out of his bowl. I always have to take him out and hand feed him, same for water.

Is it because he's still getting used to me?

I'm new to owning a bearded dragon, help and advice would be much appreciated! Thanks :)

MrPwndabear

Probably relocation stress to be honest, most beardies during their first couple of weeks at a home will not eat as much while they adjust. Also some beardies really dont like greens all that much. Just offer them and let them pick if they dont eat well they dont eat. I wouldnt worry about it too much. Just make sure they are getting enough food over all and everything should be fine. Also wait it out like i said with relocation stress they can sometimes not eat as much.

hellaqt

Original Poster
MrPwndabear":2fik32ej said:
Probably relocation stress to be honest, most beardies during their first couple of weeks at a home will not eat as much while they adjust. Also some beardies really dont like greens all that much. Just offer them and let them pick if they dont eat well they dont eat. I wouldnt worry about it too much. Just make sure they are getting enough food over all and everything should be fine. Also wait it out like i said with relocation stress they can sometimes not eat as much.

Thank you for the reply! So you think I should just wait a couple weeks til he's eating better? Because the most he's ever eaten was like three pieces of apple and crickets

MrPwndabear

another possibility is brumation, it is that time of year again. How much has he/she eaten overall since you got it? is it spending a lot of time on the cool side of the tank and/or sleeping a lot? is it noticeably losing weight at all?

hellaqt

Original Poster
MrPwndabear":sqwvuimj said:
another possibility is brumation, it is that time of year again. How much has he/she eaten overall since you got it? is it spending a lot of time on the cool side of the tank and/or sleeping a lot? is it noticeably losing weight at all?

He's not eaten a lot overall. I've looked up how much they typically eat and he eats nowhere that amount. I try feeding him, but he doesn't want much. Today he actually ate quite more than usual but I'd still consider that a bit compared to others. He's also in the heat a lot. Sleeps when it's night, awake during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom