1 year old dragon have spasms/twitching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

So I'm in need of some urgent help. I have a 1 year old dragon and something's quite wrong with her. I went to check on her about 20 minutes ago, only to find her lying flat in her cage and having periodic twitching/spasms which are accompanied by her lifting her head up and swallowing a few times in quick succession. They get worse when I try to touch her, and she inflates her body quickly. When she's just lying there on her own in between spasms, her eyes are partially shut and she's lethargic. This doesn't seem epileptic in nature from videos I've seen, but I have no way of knowing for sure. She's been doing completely fine, and you would've never known anything was wrong with her until just now.

I'm about 14 hours away from being able to take her in for an emergency vet appointment, but I'm concerned about whether she's going to make it until then. Just wondering if anyone has any clue as to what the issue is and if there's anything I can do to help her in the meantime.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello all,

So I'm in need of some urgent help. I have a 1 year old dragon and something's quite wrong with her. I went to check on her about 20 minutes ago, only to find her lying flat in her cage and having periodic twitching/spasms which are accompanied by her lifting her head up and swallowing a few times in quick succession. They get worse when I try to touch her, and she inflates her body quickly. When she's just lying there on her own in between spasms, her eyes are partially shut and she's lethargic. This doesn't seem epileptic in nature from videos I've seen, but I have no way of knowing for sure. She's been doing completely fine, and you would've never known anything was wrong with her until just now.

I'm about 14 hours away from being able to take her in for an emergency vet appointment, but I'm concerned about whether she's going to make it until then. Just wondering if anyone has any clue as to what the issue is and if there's anything I can do to help her in the meantime.
Please post pics of her and tell me what your using for a UVB coil or a tube and where in the tank is it? Top of screen or inside the tank -- basking temps what are they are how are you taking them ? NO stickons they are inaccurate

winkydinks

Original Poster
I’m using a Reptisun 10.0 UVB Desert bulb (the full size one) on top of screen. Basking temperature’s about 98, and I use the gun to measure. Let me work on a picture.

winkydinks

Original Poster
I read that she might be calcium deficient. I have her a dose of liquid calcium.

Attachments

• 29D61227-397C-47B9-8FE9-E40045BAD4BB.jpeg
    29D61227-397C-47B9-8FE9-E40045BAD4BB.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 109

winkydinks

Original Poster
So the dose of calcium may have helped. She stopped the twitching and irregular breathing, and was sitting upright when I went to check on her. With that being said, she's lethargic now (but still responsive) and has sunken eyes.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So the dose of calcium may have helped. She stopped the twitching and irregular breathing, and was sitting upright when I went to check on her. With that being said, she's lethargic now (but still responsive) and has sunken eyes.
In order for to be able to absorb / synthesize the calcium the uvb needs to be in the correct placement- is your screen a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type ? Please tell me the bulb brand and is it a T 5 or T 8 this is crucial for correct distance and placement

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It's a wide hole type. Here's a picture of the bulb.
FS-C10_ReptiSun_10.0_Compact_Fluorescent.jpg
Please get rid of that ASAP- those are terrible uvb's-- they provide no uvb at all especially in 40+ gallon tanks--- please get a 24" fixture for a 40 gallon tank- a Zoo Med or a Arcadia pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb or a sunblaster nano tech 2 ft fixture -- you will need a 22" reptisun 10.0 bulb for the Zoo Med fixture- go here www.pangeareptiles.com look for the Zoo Med under fixtures the Arcadia pro T 5 is out of stock or these people are fast and good they ship fed ex- or here SunBlaster NanoTech T5 HO - Fluorescent Fixture with 6400K Lamp -- if your in warm weather 65+ degrees get him out side for some uvb rays--- he has developed mbd- and the twitching is not good- please do this ASAP-- shut the coil off- when you get the uvb post on here so I can help you place it-

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Definitely as soon as you can get that light replaced, it is very important. I am not sure she will make it but the improved UVB exposure
will help.
What liquid calcium do you have? In situations like this, make small steps & changes. Her system is compromised & too much calcium
all at once can cause renal issues. Are you able to get oral fluids into her at all? Since you mentioned her eyes are sunken in, she is
most likely dehydrated. So I would recommend oral fluids a few times a day using a plastic dropper or syringe to get her to lick off the fluids
from her nose.
Is she eating anything at all?
For now, keep her around 75-80F overnight to help boost her system. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

winkydinks

Original Poster
Please get rid of that ASAP- those are terrible uvb's-- they provide no uvb at all especially in 40+ gallon tanks--- please get a 24" fixture for a 40 gallon tank- a Zoo Med or a Arcadia pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb or a sunblaster nano tech 2 ft fixture -- you will need a 22" reptisun 10.0 bulb for the Zoo Med fixture- go here www.pangeareptiles.com look for the Zoo Med under fixtures the Arcadia pro T 5 is out of stock or these people are fast and good they ship fed ex- or here SunBlaster NanoTech T5 HO - Fluorescent Fixture with 6400K Lamp -- if your in warm weather 65+ degrees get him out side for some uvb rays--- he has developed mbd- and the twitching is not good- please do this ASAP-- shut the coil off- when you get the uvb post on here so I can help you place it-
So I don't think she's going to make it unfortunately. She had deteriorated when I got up this morning, and is only slightly responsive now. I've had her propped up on a little platform about six inches away from a fully exposed bulb all day, but she's more or less the same. I've ordered a new light set ups for all my other dragons (none have ever had a problem) anyways. Hopefully she pulls through, but it's not looking great.

Thanks for the help though. I really appreciate it.

winkydinks

Original Poster
She's gone. RIP sweet girl. A little surprised by the suddenness of it all. 24 hours ago and you would've never guessed anything was wrong.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
She's gone. RIP sweet girl. A little surprised by the suddenness of it all. 24 hours ago and you would've never guessed anything was wrong.
I am so sorry 😔 this happens a lot and people are stunned by how sudden-- coils should not be sold they are a death sentence to dragons in my opinion- but we see this a lot on this forum and others- again I am so sorry and so young

winkydinks

Original Poster
The bulb itself was straight and not a coil, but I understand that it was far less than ideal. Thank you for your words.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry that you lost your girl, so very suddenly. How awful. :cry: It is the worse feeling ever, to lose
one anytime but when it is so fast it makes it even harder.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom