1 week old not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayl55

Juvie Member
Hello, Lilly's little one is not eating..he ate 1 cricket on day 2, 1 cricket on day5 and 1 cricket on day7, will his apetite increase? he is very active and alert, but I think he is gettin gskinny instead of fat :( I'm worried about the little guy.
oh and to pre-answer some questions, he has a reptisun 10.0, a basking spot temp of 109 , shelf linner substrate, and is in a 10 gallon tank.
I have tried feeding him crickets by hand too, adn he jsut closes his eyes and turns away when I put it close to his mouth.
I really want this little guy to be appy and healthy.
Oh, adn one more question, when do most babies have their first shed?? and how fast should they be growing?

ScooterBlenny

Hatchling Member
How old is he? What is the temp on the cool side of the tank? Have you tried anything besides crickets? Phoenix Worms would be a good next step.

hayl55

Juvie Member
Original Poster
he/she is 8 days old, cool side is around 82 degrees.
I also tried to feed her squash and bokchoy ( but I know babies are not as into their veggies as adults are)
I havent tried pheonix worms yet, as there are no suppliers around my area and shipping them in will take forever.
How long is too long for my little one to go on this hunger strike?

MissT

BD.org Addict
Apparently, their appetite can be quite low for the first few days - im not sure how many days is normal tho as Iv never dealt with hatchlings.

Just an idea but how many crickets are you putting in with him at a time? I remember my little guy (at 8 weeks) didnt like any more than 2 in his viv at a time!!!

hayl55

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I woudl oony put the one in at a time. if he ate it I owudl put another one in..adn he seemed uninterested. He ate once an his own and teh other two times he had his mouth open so I popped one n there and he munched o nit and ate it. but he seems uninterested in teh crickets, or anythign I have ffered him. :(

MissT

BD.org Addict
Personally I would try and get him some phoenix worms - even if it takes a day or 2 with the shipping. He may just be still figuring out what these odd looking creatures are and what he is supposed to do with them - I think if he had a little dish with 5-10 phoenix worms in there he would probably feel more relaxed 'exploring' them on his own!!

Again, these are just suggestions - I really hope someone with more experience can help you out - perhaps posting in the breeding section may attract some more attention?

Sorry I cant be more helpful!!

T

hayl55

Juvie Member
Original Poster
yea, maybe a small dish with pheonix worms will do the trick. I'll try that out as soon as I can get my hands on some pheonix worms :) thansk for teh tips, any more tips will be rgeatly appreciated too

Menolly

Juvie Member
Hey,
Congrats on your new baby!! I'll be waiting for some pictures. :D
I have a question though, how close can he get to the light?
Mel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom