(#1) I Got My New Bearded Dragon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay, I got my new dragon yesterday! Previously, I had gotten a baby (only about 3-4 inches) from PetSmart, Snips. She was sick when I got her I'm assuming because she ate a total of 9 or so crickets. A few the first day and a few the second day. Also she went to the bathroom once. During the night of the second day, she wasn't breathing right. It was super slow and labored. I wanted to take her to a vet but since it was 2am my parents wouldn't. My dad goes to work at 5am and my mom was sick. I did everything I could but she died around 4am. I talked to a breeder on the phone and described everything and she said that it sounds like she was both too young and sick.

My mom and I went looking at pet stores again yesterday, just to look not buy, and found one that had their reptiles, birds, fish, ect. very well kept. And the employee that I was talking to owned several reptiles including three dragons! She showed us the dragons and there was a baby but she said that they did not sell them when they are that young, they were just there to get them use to being handled and make them people friendly. It was about 4 inches I'm guessing. Anyways, I really liked this one dragon, who was 9 inches, and asked if I could hold it. I checked for mites, ticks, ect. and he looked great. My mom said I could get him so I walked out with him!

It is just best guess that it is a male. His name is Gizmo.

I do have him on sand but before anyone starts telling me bad idea let me explain. I use to have my former dragon, Snips, on reptile carpet but of course she died. I started calling a few breeders for their opinion and they most of them use sand and told me to use this certain type of sand. I don't remember the brand and do not have a bag in front of me. Since it was worked for them, I wanted to try it. But at the first sign of impaction, God forbid, I am switching back to carpet.

Here's Gizmo!
IMG_2983.jpg

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
He's very cute! Make sure you keep us updated as he grows. He seems very healthy from the pics you posted.

My recomendation is to keep a close watch on him to make sure he doesn't lick at the stuff in his tank. From what I know, if he does lick a lot he probably will have an impaction problem. Is it calci sand? or did you buy the play sand that others recommend of you want to use sand? Even Petsmart recommends not using any sand for babies and a lot of their "recomendations" for beardies are incorrect. This is just a warning, I'm not trying to condemn you.

Lori

Nikki1292

Original Poster
I keep a close watch on Gizmo with his sand because of what I have heard. The sand is called Vita-Sand and says it can't cause impaction but I was warned by the breeders I talked to that it can still cause it so the recommended that I bath him in warm water regularly to help prevent it. Also, I am going to start feeding him in a separate tank so that he won't eat a bunch of sand with his crickets. He will still be given his salad in his tank though. And I am pretty positive that he isn't a baby. The pet store I was at (not petco or petsmart) said that 1. they don't sell babies under 6 inches, and 2. they use blank news paper when they are babies and don't change them to sand until they are over 7 inches. I don't know if they measure them or what but thats what they said.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
I'm also a breeder and I would not recommend using it at all!! Even if you feed him in a separate tank they still like to lick everything!! If he does get impacted, warm soaks wont even help! There will still be some sand in there!! Why risk it? Just my 2cents hope this helps......... :)

Nikki1292

Original Poster
Oh, don't worry. The sand is gone and replaced with repti-carpet. I came across some pics of an autopsy of a little beardie who died of impaction and...well, I have a strong stomach but I wanted to puke. I changed the sand as soon as I saw them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom