1 dose of Albon and Panacur. Stop and give Reptaid instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicksmom

You can see on my other thread that my dragon was diagnosed with coccidia and hookworms yesterday at the vet. He had his first dose of albon and panacur last night. I came across the Reptaid thread on the health board and ordered it. Would you stop the vet meds and wait for the reptaid? I seriously need honest opinions. Everyone I know on real life is clueless about dragons and thinks I should stick with the vet meds.

Spikey07

Juvie Member
Although Albon can be harsh on their systems I would personally stick with the vet meds.

Coccidia can be very hard to get rid of and I'm not sure that Reptaid would get rid of it completely? Do you know what levels of worms and coccidia were seen in his fecal sample?

Panacur is quite a gentle med and shouldn't cause much of an issue.

Make sure to keep him well hydrated and try get some acidophiliz+ or soy bio yoghurt (make sure it is not dairy) to help replace his good bacteria which will be killed by the meds. I would do this with Reptaid and Vet meds, which ever you choose.

nicksmom

Original Poster
Thanks for replying Spikey07. Check my thread below this on that starts with Albon Panacur? for his lab details. I gave him a dose of acidophiliz + 2 days before we started meds and yesterday after the first dose of the vet prescribed meds. I will continue giving it to him so we can replenish his good bacteria. If I complete the vet meds any idea how long I would need to wait to give him Reptaid?

Spikey07

Juvie Member
I would increase his light to 14 hours per day while he is having the meds since you are at work 8am - 5pm.

If you have the lights come on at 6am you can give him the meds right before you leave for work and feed him.

When you get home from work later in the day you should give the Acidophiliz+. Ideally at least 2 hours before his lights go off. So you could have the lights turn off at 8pm?

After he has finished the meds I would keep giving the Acidophiliz+ for a couple of weeks, then get another fecal test done to see if he is clear.

You should not need to use the Reptaid, hopefully the vet meds will kill the parasites. Although it is always good to have as it will keep for 1 year once opened.

Remember to keep him well hydrated whilst hes on the meds. Coccidia can be hard to get rid of, make sure to sanitize his tank and keep it super clean until he's clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom