1 and a half -2 month beardie his right eye is always shut

Status
Not open for further replies.

riceko

Hatchling Member
Hoo wow, $68... thats alot! The reason I'm not taking Scorch in lol. I figure she has no eye discharge and everything else is normal (except eating), so it'll be fine.
I hope the vet can give you some medication to clear the condition up quickly! And if he has any kind of infection, hopefully it will be caught in the act :p
Hope Papi is doing well! I bet we both can't wait for things to get back to normal :lol:

murt923

Original Poster
yea i just wanna do everything there is posible because if for some reason he doesnt make it i wanna think like i did everything i could and even though 68$ is a lot not to mention the meds he might need that i have to purchase i just want to do everything that can possibly be done and hope for the best so i have faith that everything is gonna be fine just it takes so long

riceko

Hatchling Member
Yea, you are doing all you can, and in the end no matter what... thats all that matters. And he will appreciate you for it. Even if he doesn't tell you ;)

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Don't worry youselfe to death about it. Eye infections are very treatable. The vet may give you drops or an oral antibiotic to squirt in his mouth. When my first big male, Captain Jack developed a mass by his vent, the vet performed surgery to remove it, gave oral antibiotics prior to surgery, learned to give my dragon shots for subcutaneous antibiotic injection. We had the mass tested and it was either cancerous or a form of a herpes virus that affects reptiles. He seemed to be recovering for the first 2 weeks, we think the surgery slowed it down slightly, then the virus began to spread, finally to the brain and a month after the surgery, he died in my lap. I spent over $900 in vet bills for appts, surgery and meds. Even though I lost him, the money, the work to doctor him, and trips to the vet were well worth it in the attempt to save the dragon I loved so much. I really think your Papi will be ok. They may give him drops and/or an oral anitibiotic to squirt in his mouth, it'll be a little tough the first few days, but you'll get the hang of it and I think he'll pull through fine. The chicken and squash baby food will work well, just use an oral medicine syringe (ask at a Walgreens pharmacy, we give them out free for kids liquid antibiotics all the time). It takes time to get enough into them, be patient, touch a little to his snout and let him sit until he's ready to lick it off, from there he'll keep licking until he's full. The chicken is actually a really good digestable protein that can be used short term to get them eating. I used it with my guy when he was sick. Let us know how it goes tomorrow! Prayers and hugs to you both

murt923

Original Poster
well i took him to the vet today and he said it was an eye infection behind the eye so his vision shouldnt be a problem in the future...he gave him an antibiotic ointment directly on his eye and immediatly the swelling went down...so i have to give him the ointment everyday...and also he gave him a vitamin A shot also which i was very proud of Papi because he took it like a champ...also the doc weighed him and hes only 4 grams...also on the way to the vet he ate yet again a couple pieces of collard greens...and i tried feeding him the baby food and i put it on the tip of his snout and he doesnt lick it off and i cant get him to open his mouth for the feeding syringe...so the wheels are in motion and it was a good day today.

riceko

Hatchling Member
Wow an eye infection! Thats crazy. I guess swelling would be a pretty good indication of that.
Good thing he got antibiotics :) are his eyes opening up more?

murt923

Original Poster
um yea his right eye is looking alot better hes not really opening it that much but it does seem the swelling is almost gone

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Really glad to hear that Papi's eye issue is on the mend. I was really hoping that he would eat some of the baby food for you, but, as he begins feeling better he should start eating his regular foods. It's encouraging that you were able to get him to take a few bites of greens though. He'll be back to normal soon. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete5775
Top Bottom