Bearded dragon no longer interested in greens

Discuss topics of food for your beardies here.

Bearded dragon no longer interested in greens

Postby WreckWrack » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:09 am

For 2 or 3 weeks now my beardie has not been interested at all in greens. He goes crazy for any insects, locusts, mealworms, morioworms, waxworms, anything so long as it moves. He's almost a year old and used to eat a whole bowl of greens from day one, but now he just kinda looks at them. He'll take one from my hand if I offer it to him but nothing after that, the rest is left in the bowl, he'll occasionally take a bit or two if he feels really hungry. Any ideas to get around this? Maybe mix some mealworms in with the greens?
WreckWrack
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Bearded dragon no longer interested in greens

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:09 am

Yes get some BSFL and use 3 super worms - put in the salad bowl that the bugs cant get out of feed FIRST in morning ---- no more meal worms ---- the BSFL are small and put them and the supers on top of salad and let him see you do this so the movement will attract his attention - feed as many BSFL as you want as they are a staple feeder - no dusting - after about 30 minutes or so feed him his bugs - either crickets or dubias --- it sounds like hes holding out for the meal worms -- I would cut them out for now and feed other insects - meal worms for a treat only -- try that and see how it goes
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster

Postby Tenter75 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:23 am

I'm having the same issue with my beardie. I've been putting 3-4 super worms in his salad - then when he goes in to grab the worm, I slip some veg in front of him. Sometimes he grabs the veg but most times he's too quick! He'll finish the worms and go up to the basking area - ignoring the rest of his salad.
I just attached a bunch of escarole leaves to his enclosure with a suction cup. I've read articles where grazing on full leaves might be more enticing.

Will try BSFL instead of super worms.
Tenter75
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:29 am

If he has to dig for the worms he will get vegies as hes doing that - meaning he will scoop up the vegies in his mouth to eat the worms
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster

Postby claudiusx » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:46 am

Hi there,

At a year old you can cut back a bit on the feeders and offer him more of a salad. He likely isn't eat it because he knows he can fill up on what he prefers, his bugs. Limit the bugs and let him have access to a salad at all times. When he decides he is hungry enough, or learns that he can't fill up on bugs, he will eat his salad :)

-Brandon
claudiusx

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Feeding