Beardie ate plastic wrapper

Status
Not open for further replies.

RossDouglas

3 days ago, my bearded dragon was exploring my apartment and ate a scrap of a wrapper that had fallen onto the ground. I am afraid of impaction, especially because there are no exotics vets available in my area.

I have been giving him frequent baths and natural laxatives (vegetable oil on his salad) to help him pass the foreign object. Today, he had a massive bowel movement, but it was loose and did not appear to contain the foreign object.

Could he still be impacted even though he is pooping, since I have not seen him pass the plastic wrapper?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How large was the wrapper & what kind of plastic was it, like bubble wrap, saran wrap,
or something that candy is wrapped in?
It may take a week or so, for it to pass. You can continue to give a drop or two of olive
or coconut oil, along with squash, sweet potato or sugar free apple sauce daily for awhile.
Eventually, it should pass through!
Is your dragon acting normally & basking?

Tracie

RossDouglas

Original Poster
Drache613":3vquji48 said:
Hello,

How large was the wrapper & what kind of plastic was it, like bubble wrap, saran wrap,
or something that candy is wrapped in?
It may take a week or so, for it to pass. You can continue to give a drop or two of olive
or coconut oil, along with squash, sweet potato or sugar free apple sauce daily for awhile.
Eventually, it should pass through!
Is your dragon acting normally & basking?

Tracie

Hi, Thank you for your response
It was a small piece of something that candy is wrapped in about the size of his head. He has been acting normally so far so I think you are right!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, well then he was a very naughty dragon indeed!
I think that eventually it will pass through....but the waiting is the hardest part. I guess you will
have to vacuum more often.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

RossDouglas

Original Poster
Drache613":2e98m5kp said:
Hello,

Ok, well then he was a very naughty dragon indeed!
I think that eventually it will pass through....but the waiting is the hardest part. I guess you will
have to vacuum more often.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie
Very naughty indeed! However, I am delighted to report he has passed the plastic out the other end without a problem :) Thank you for your advice in this stressful moment!
I have to be increasingly careful as my beardie gets larger because he will eat literally anything he can fit in his mouth. Today he tried to eat one of the rocks inside his enclosure!! He is such a hungry boy, even after I feed him salad and 6-10 large crickets daily

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh my, yes they will try to eat rocks if at all possible! I had one in the past who would do that
as well, & always had to watch him like a hawk.
Do you have pebbles in his tank? I would recommend taking those out & replace any loose
substrate with non adhesive shelf liner, tiles, colored felt, etc but no loose substrate.
I am happy to hear that he did pass the plastic through! :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom