Dubia colony not breeding

This forum is for discussing topics of caring for and breeding feeders (crickets, roaches, etc.) for those interested in raising their own bearded dragon live feeders.

Dubia colony not breeding

Postby rhaegaldrogo » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:59 am

I have a colony of dubia roaches (majority juveniles). I added 12 adults to the mix at the start of December, 2 males, 10 females. Over 2 months later I'm down to 1 male, 8 females. And there are no offspring. The death rate is very low within the colony, around the heat mat it's 28-31°C. There's plenty of spaces to hide with some humidity. I feed them the veggies I feed my beardie, along with oranges and a few bits of dog food once in a while for protein.
rhaegaldrogo
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Dubia colony not breeding

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:17 pm

It sounds like your setup is OK. I remember it taking several months for my colony to start breeding (although I started with mixed sizes no adults). Try adding some favorite foods to their meals. They seem to love squash and pumpkin and orange slices.
CooperDragon

Postby Claudiusx » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:38 am

IMO and experience, a high of 87 at the hottest spot is too cool. That means the rest of the enclosure will be much lower temperature wise. I was having trouble getting my colony to initially kick off too. Until I made some temperature changes.

My heat mat covers about 80-90% of the bottom of the bin. And the thermostat probe for the temperature is set to 92 or 94. And I don't have it resting on the bottom. So the bottom actually gets warmer than that, but, that keeps the ambient air temp in there at around 85+. Since the egg crates allow them to move higher or lower (warmer or cooler) they get to pick which temp they like the best.

I used to just set it so that the heat mat at it's hottest was 85, no success. I'm sure if I measured the bottom of the bin now it would be more near 100 at the hottest.

You might try bumping your temps and seeing what happens. It helped a lot for mine.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

Postby rhaegaldrogo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:41 am

claudiusx wrote:IMO and experience, a high of 87 at the hottest spot is too cool. That means the rest of the enclosure will be much lower temperature wise. I was having trouble getting my colony to initially kick off too. Until I made some temperature changes.

My heat mat covers about 80-90% of the bottom of the bin. And the thermostat probe for the temperature is set to 92 or 94. And I don't have it resting on the bottom. So the bottom actually gets warmer than that, but, that keeps the ambient air temp in there at around 85+. Since the egg crates allow them to move higher or lower (warmer or cooler) they get to pick which temp they like the best.

I used to just set it so that the heat mat at it's hottest was 85, no success. I'm sure if I measured the bottom of the bin now it would be more near 100 at the hottest.

You might try bumping your temps and seeing what happens. It helped a lot for mine.

-Brandon

Oh wow, that's interesting I never heard of that. My heat mat doesn't have a thermostat on it as it's only about 7watts, and can't go any hotter unless I tape it to the inside of the bin. If I taped it on the side, would that be safe?
rhaegaldrogo
Newbie Poster

Postby Claudiusx » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:49 am

This is the one I bought, it's decentely cheap and it's quite large too. I really like it
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ID ... UTF8&psc=1

How much ventilation do you have? You might be able to keep more heat in if you close up some ventilation.

-Brandon
Claudiusx

Postby rhaegaldrogo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:52 am

claudiusx wrote:This is the one I bought, it's decentely cheap and it's quite large too. I really like it
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ID ... UTF8&psc=1

How much ventilation do you have? You might be able to keep more heat in if you close up some ventilation.

-Brandon

Too big for my bin 😅. I have some small holes drilled in the lid. Could tin foil help keep in some heat?
rhaegaldrogo
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Claudiusx » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:59 am

Wrapping a blanket around the bin would probably help more. Or some form of insulation.

It does take awhile for them to start breeding, but typically by 2-3 months you should start seeing your first babies. For instance, some of the females I initially bought when restarting my colony, came already pregnant. So I started seeing babies quick. But like I said, after a couple months I saw no more babies at all. Not until I raised the temp.

You might want to pick up a few more roaches if you can. The more you have, the sooner they will have a population explosion, which is what I'm currently experiencing right now.

-Brandon
Claudiusx

Postby MrSpectrum » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:13 am

rhaegaldrogo wrote:I have a colony of dubia roaches (majority juveniles). I added 12 adults to the mix at the start of December, 2 males, 10 females. Over 2 months later I'm down to 1 male, 8 females. And there are no offspring. The death rate is very low within the colony, around the heat mat it's 28-31°C.

Too cold. According to dubia breeding temperature (and every dubia breeding vid I've seen) it should be 90°-95°F (32°-35°C). :wink:

Non sequitur: Not to be pedantic, but shouldn't this thread be in Feed-ers? :?
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:40 pm

MrSpectrum wrote:Non sequitur: Not to be pedantic, but shouldn't this thread be in Feed-ers? :?

You're probably right. Moved from Feeding to Feeders.
CooperDragon

Postby rhaegaldrogo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:45 pm

MrSpectrum wrote:
rhaegaldrogo wrote:I have a colony of dubia roaches (majority juveniles). I added 12 adults to the mix at the start of December, 2 males, 10 females. Over 2 months later I'm down to 1 male, 8 females. And there are no offspring. The death rate is very low within the colony, around the heat mat it's 28-31°C.

Too cold. According to dubia breeding temperature (and every dubia breeding vid I've seen) it should be 90°-95°F (32°-35°C). :wink:

Non sequitur: Not to be pedantic, but shouldn't this thread be in Feed-ers? :?

Oh sorry I didn't see that section 😅. And I'll try see if I can increase the tempsz thanks guys :). One of my female roaches actually had babies earlier 🙄😂
rhaegaldrogo
Newbie Poster

Postby MrSpectrum » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:46 pm

rhaegaldrogo wrote:Oh sorry I didn't see that section 😅.

No biggie. The Non Sequitur was aimed more at nudging the moderators. :D
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Feeders