Thoughts on frozen greens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Hi all.
Curious as to how other beardie slaves feel about using frozen greens, thawed of course, when unable to get to the store. I have mobility issues that flare up at times and getting out to the store can be a problem.
I'm not thinking as a steady diet! But wonder if it would be ok occasionally and worth keeping a bag of frozen collards or turnip greens in the freezer for just those times.
Thoughts and opinions appreciated. ?
-Dee

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd say go for it. I sometimes include frozen food like peas in the salad. I've read of some folks setting up salad in ice cube trays and freezing it so they can just take a cube out, thaw it, and serve.

For shorter term storage, I've had good luck storing greens in the crisper drawer. When I get greens home from the store I wash them, cut the stems out (and feed those to the roaches) and take the halves and put them in a ziploc with a folded piece of paper towel. Compress the air out and seal it. Put the bag in the crisper. I can keep greens fresh for several weeks that way, sometimes longer. When I want to serve it, I just take a leaf or two out, tear it up or chop it, and put it in the food dish.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1l5nam3a said:
I'd say go for it. I sometimes include frozen food like peas in the salad. I've read of some folks setting up salad in ice cube trays and freezing it so they can just take a cube out, thaw it, and serve.

For shorter term storage, I've had good luck storing greens in the crisper drawer. When I get greens home from the store I wash them, cut the stems out (and feed those to the roaches) and take the halves and put them in a ziploc with a folded piece of paper towel. Compress the air out and seal it. Put the bag in the crisper. I can keep greens fresh for several weeks that way, sometimes longer. When I want to serve it, I just take a leaf or two out, tear it up or chop it, and put it in the food dish.

When I can get fresh greens by the bunch, they last for weeks. Recently store only had prewashed precut bags of greens and they are lucky to last a week. Yesterday Petey had shredded sweet potato, sliced string beans and cubed yellow squash. I tossed out the greens. Times like that I wished I had some frozen, better than none. Bought more today which should hold a week when I am able to do more shopping.
I have thawed an occasional strawberry or couple blueberries, but he doesn't care much for fruit, fresh or frozen. I tried to add a little extra something but his greens and squashes are the only things that for sure get eaten. Besides superworms of course. ?
Thanks hon.
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom