Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazyman

Is there an easy way to supply water? My baby will only drink from the dropper after a few minutes of holding it out in front of him. He will only drink a little of it before he runs off. He has a bowl that he never drinks from (it raises the humidity, so I might take it out). He rarely drinks from his bath. Also, do they absorb water through their vents? I’ve read so many different answers (if you google it, you’ll get both yes and no). Thank you! He’s not badly dehydrated (only a little bit of wrinkled skin, which is occasional), I just want to make sure he gets what he needs!

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
BDs come from an arid habitat; they don't need as much water as you'd think (one reason they defecate urates instead of urinating). He should be getting most all the moisture he needs from his diet of moist bugs & veggies/leafy greens.

That said, some folks lightly spray one wall of the enclosure to simulate rain/dew. If there are any plants in the enclosure (live or plastic), they can be sprayed too (to simulate a light rain). Alternatively, you could supplement his feeders with an occasional offering of higher moisture content. He should be getting a little variety anyway.

AFAIK, they do not absorb water through their vents (how do these things get started? Nevermind--rhetorical question--and I'm not sure I really want to know...) :roll:

It's interesting that you even got him to take water from a dropper; I'd say if he only takes a drop or 2, that's all he needs. It begs a question I've been wondering about for a while though... If he'll take water from a dropper, how about a hamster or mouse bottle? :?:

jazyman

Original Poster
Ok thank you! I read somewhere that they need 10mL of liquid water everyday, so I just wanted to see. I think some people get dragons mixed up with other reptiles or animals that intake water from their vents, but who knows! Thank you!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Drinking by dropper, syringe or spray bottle is a great way to keep them hydrated, all my beardies drink that way. As they get older they drink less frequently but for longer periods using that method. Some beardies will also drink while given a short soak [ 5-10 minutes ] which can be done every 2-4 weeks , more or less as the dragon likes/dislikes the baths. :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
10ml of water a day would be quite a lot. If they are eating plenty of fresh foods, they don't tend to need a lot of extra hydration. It's certainly good to offer it by dropper or spray as mentioned. If they drink some that's good but if not that's OK too. As far as the water bowl goes, try flicking at the water to make some movement. Sometimes that helps get their attention and trains them to use the bowl as a water source when they want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom