Tucking in your bearded dragon at night a bad idea ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Hello ....So I came across a conversation on reddit. In this conversation they say that bearded dragons are cold blooded and can’t generate their own heat yadadadadad and so on. I’m guilty of tucking Yeti in at night, but I wonder if she’s in heat and I put the blanket on her, doesn’t it trap the heat in with her? Am I really trapping in the cold and making it worst with the blanket? I didn’t tuck her in yesterday since I came across that topic.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A few of my dragons love sleeping under their blankets. It's true, blankets don't have the same effect on cold blooded creatures as it does with warm blooded creatures, but I wouldn't put much more thought into it than that :)

-Brandon

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Lol I over think everything can’t you tell lol . I was like omg google is telling me I’m killing my pet again lol

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

As long as we have owned bearded dragons, "most" of the time I have always used a nice
soft, fleece blankie for our dragons. I guess I just love to spoil our dragons, shame on me
I suppose! :D

Tracie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Ah, the ubiquitous "beardie burrito"... I've read about it, I've seen vids about it (the last one just before logging on this morning), but I have not yet done it aside from the paper towel I wrapped him in after his bath yesterday.

"Tucking him in for the night" had never occurred to me, and I can't--at this point in time--see any reason to. When his lights turn off (UVB an hour before the basking flood) he wanders around a bit, finds where he wants to "camp" for the night" (picks his spot) then turns himself off like the lights--shuts down and doesn't move at all until morning. So lucky he doesn't have a bladder & prostate. He picks a different spot every night; occasionally in his hide, but usually outside. If he's comfortable enough to do that, I'm certainly not worried.

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":1uu1gfyr said:
Hello,

As long as we have owned bearded dragons, "most" of the time I have always used a nice
soft, fleece blankie for our dragons. I guess I just love to spoil our dragons, shame on me
I suppose! :D

Tracie
Yasssssss I can’t resist, she is sooo spoiled !

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":1yzu709f said:
Ah, the ubiquitous "beardie burrito"... I've read about it, I've seen vids about it (the last one just before logging on this morning), but I have not yet done it aside from the paper towel I wrapped him in after his bath yesterday.

"Tucking him in for the night" had never occurred to me, and I can't--at this point in time--see any reason to. When his lights turn off (UVB an hour before the basking flood) he wanders around a bit, finds where he wants to "camp" for the night" (picks his spot) then turns himself off like the lights--shuts down and doesn't move at all until morning. So lucky he doesn't have a bladder & prostate. He picks a different spot every night; occasionally in his hide, but usually outside. If he's comfortable enough to do that, I'm certainly not worried.

I only started tucking her in when I would find her sleeping like this and it was really cold at night . At the time I didn’t realize our heat was shutting off half way throughout the night. Then I was able to get a heat emitter for her

Oh god she’s such a weirdo I love her .

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Tasnene":36qawr42 said:
I only started tucking her in when I would find her sleeping like this and it was really cold at night .
How cold are we talking? The avg. nighttime temperature in Central Australia (where beardies are from) is aprox. 56F and it gets down into the 30sF. Is your house that cold at night? Shutting the heat off along with the lights (you could use the same timer) wouldn't be inappropriate.

Once his lights go out, Zardoz' nighttime temp can't go down any further than room temp (low 70s).
Like I said, he shuts down too, and he's fine with it.

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":3kxzcn6u said:
Tasnene":3kxzcn6u said:
I only started tucking her in when I would find her sleeping like this and it was really cold at night .
How cold are we talking? The avg. nighttime temperature in Central Australia (where beardies are from) is aprox. 56F and it gets down into the 30sF. Is your house that cold at night? Shutting the heat off along with the lights (you could use the same timer) wouldn't be inappropriate.

Once his lights go out, Zardoz' nighttime temp can't go down any further than room temp (low 70s).
Like I said, he shuts down too, and he's fine with it.

Yeah it was dropping to 65 - 64 so now she has a heat emitter, it has no light just heat. It’s on a timer when the basking light shuts off the heat emitter comes on then it repeats.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
That's... really borderline. Given the average temperatures of their natural environment, I'm not sure the CHE is even necessary, but that's up to you. I suspect the difference between 65°F and their natural habitat has to do with brumating--dropping below 65 may induce them(?), but I don't really know fer sure.

Al6911

I have a snuggle sack, like the ones hedgehog owners use. I will "tuck" Dovahh in there if he falls asleep in the open at night. Its a little small for him, his tail sticks out, but he just leaves if he doesn't want to be in there. He likes to lay on a mini pillow pet I got from a wholesale company, though.

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":hblcnk0x said:
That's... really borderline. Given the average temperatures of their natural environment, I'm not sure the CHE is even necessary, but that's up to you. I suspect the difference between 65°F and their natural habitat has to do with brumating--dropping below 65 may induce them(?), but I don't really know fer sure.

Yeah your right . I honestly can’t remember if it dropped below 65. The heat emitter won’t be on all year round.
She does have a cool area in her tank. She doesn’t care for her hut. She mostly hangouts in the heat side.

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Al6911":3jaeej6k said:
I have a snuggle sack, like the ones hedgehog owners use. I will "tuck" Dovahh in there if he falls asleep in the open at night. Its a little small for him, his tail sticks out, but he just leaves if he doesn't want to be in there. He likes to lay on a mini pillow pet I got from a wholesale company, though.

That seems like a cool idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom