First Meals for New Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Hi - I'll be bringing home my first beardie today or tomorrow, and I was wondering what sort of first meal I should prepare. It's a juvie, not a baby, and looks to be about 8-9" long including tail. More insects, or more salad - or both?

~Chris

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He is still young - let him eat as many insect in 10-15 minutes as he can dusted w/ calcium d3 - and then offer him a salad as well -- collards mustard greens and turnip greens - all 3 mixed if you have it or just one -- some zucchini or yellow squash if you have that as well -- you can wash the greens before serving to give them moisture for hydration
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
ComicBookMama":3ko19q8h said:
I'll be bringing home my first beardie today or tomorrow, and I was wondering what sort of first meal I should prepare.

Smoked Hog Jowl with Pickles & Chutney,
Pappardelle with Sea Urchin and Cauliflower,
Baby black-eyed peas in Beaujolais Sauce,
and Baked Alaska for Desert. :D

But seriously, what Karrie said sounds fine. I hear dandelion greens are really good for them too, but get them from your grocer/supermarket--not the back yard. (pesticides, parasites, etc.)
Check out the link in the Beardie Nutrition thread. :wink:

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":tm4dtdr7 said:
He is still young - let him eat as many insect in 10-15 minutes as he can dusted w/ calcium d3 - and then offer him a salad as well -- collards mustard greens and turnip greens - all 3 mixed if you have it or just one -- some zucchini or yellow squash if you have that as well -- you can wash the greens before serving to give them moisture for hydration

Thank you- I’ll stop off at the grocery store before picking him up!

-Chris

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":3rv0yxvc said:

Hahahahaha! That would be living the high life!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
ComicBookMama":3dgrd2fw said:
MrSpectrum":3dgrd2fw said:

Hahahahaha! That would be living the high life!

One way or another, they always force their slaves into giving them the high life... just you wait and see... :laughing6:

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
claudiusx":r4fxb8ba said:
One way or another, they always force their slaves into giving them the high life... just you wait and see... :laughing6:

I just got this weird visual of a bunch of beardies wearing aprons & chef's hats, slaving over a hot stove on some gourmet cooking show... :lol:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Close, but you're the one in the chef hat and they are the ones watching YOU cook for THEM! Haha. :mrgreen:

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Oh, I got that. It's just the way my mind works--a constant stream of visuals, clips, & quotes from old movies & TV shows (child of the '50s & '60s)--like the main character in HBOs Dream On ('90-'96). :lol:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ComicBookMama":2ayu3jmy said:
Hi - I'll be bringing home my first beardie today or tomorrow, and I was wondering what sort of first meal I should prepare. It's a juvie, not a baby, and looks to be about 8-9" long including tail. More insects, or more salad - or both?

~Chris

Treat it as a hatchling, at 8 - 9 inches long it's less than 3-4 months old.
I'd get
LARGE white very wriggly BSFL
silkworms ( about 1.5" long )
crickets ( 1/3 size ) or similar sized roaches or locusts.

2 feeds per day of live insects ( ie morning and afternoon ( at least 2 hour before lights out ). 3 insect feeds per day if you can manage it.
Offer fresh salad ( In the afternoon ) may not show any interest ( don't fret if it ignores the greens , left over greens go to the crickets to gut load them ).

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3hrnt22n said:
ComicBookMama":3hrnt22n said:
Treat it as a hatchling, at 8 - 9 inches long it's less than 3-4 months old.
I'd get
LARGE white very wriggly BSFL
silkworms ( about 1.5" long )
crickets ( 1/3 size ) or similar sized roaches or locusts.

2 feeds per day of live insects ( ie morning and afternoon ( at least 2 hour before lights out ). 3 insect feeds per day if you can manage it.
Offer fresh salad ( In the afternoon ) may not show any interest ( don't fret if it ignores the greens , left over greens go to the crickets to gut load them ).

Thanks for the input - I will make sure I have plenty of insects on hand!

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
ComicBookMama":3c2zp9nq said:
Thanks for the input - I will make sure I have plenty of insects on hand!
That was another interesting part of the reptile show we attended--lots of fresh feeder insects I never saw at local pet supplies--and at much more reasonable prices. It may take a little scheduling/guesswork with amounts and how long they'll survive, but until you can figure out what s/he'll eat and an ordering schedule (or breeding colony) it may be a short-term solution. I'll have to do the same fairly soon. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom