Are bay leaves safe?

Discuss topics of food for your beardies here.

Are bay leaves safe?

Postby Geoffrey16 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:51 pm

I have ants in my apartment and was thinking to use Bay leaves to control them and keep the away from the beradie tank. Would this be safe? I don't want the ants to eat the leaves and then get into the tank and him eat the ants and get sick. The ants have gotten to the tank yet but are starting to get near the dresser his tank sits on.
Thanks in advance
Geoffrey16
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Are bay leaves safe?

Postby Claudiusx » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:30 pm

I dont know to be honest, maybe some one else does.

The ants are here for the season for me too now. But I've found the best success with spraying the perimeter of my house with a spray I buy at the hardware store.

None of my dragons ever go near the sea I spray, and it's only an inch wide anyways, but it's enough to keep the ants at bay until next year.
Just a thought if possible for you.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:44 am

I have used Terro ant killer that is a liquid I put on a paper towel on the floor where they are at - it draws them to it then they take it back to their home--- I would not let your dragon out until the ants are gone - and make sure you wipe the floor up where you place it after you have cleaned the mess up from that ---------------- we have ants this year too and my husband got some stuff from Walmart and went around the outside of the house and it seems to have gotten rid of alot of them - they are not as bad in the house - I have not put out any Terro out since then--
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:14 am

I'm not sure about the bay leaves either. I wouldn't think they would pose a problem, especially in small amounts. That said, I've had good luck using vinegar for ant control. I just spray doorways and areas ants have been seen with vinegar on a regular basis and it seems to cut down on their activity quite a bit. It's harmless so worth a shot.
CooperDragon

Postby Drache613 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:55 pm

Moved by Moderator from General to Feeding
Drache613

Postby Wickedpogana » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:01 pm

Any more information on this? Is bay leaves okay for leaf litter atleast?
Wickedpogana
Hatchling Poster

Location: Cleveland OHIO - You Can take a Beardie out of the Wild but you cant take the wild out of a Beardie

Postby MrSpectrum » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:14 am

All I've found is this from https://www.lizards101.com/what-can-bea ... bay-leaves
Can bearded dragons eat bay leaves

No, bay leaves have not been tested for toxicity in bearded dragons, so don’t feed. And on top of it, bay leaves are rather tough so could also pose a choking hazard.

As far as ants, they always follow pheromone trails. Kill the pheromone trail and you stop the ants. If you can find where they're entering the building, a line of Comet® cleanser across their trail will both discourage them, and (allegedly) poison them when taken back to the nest. We've used it for decades to stop incursions.

Of course Comet would also be poisonous to BDs and other pets, which is why it should be placed across the pheromone trails outside the home and out of reach/access to pets.
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Feeding