Worried about my beardie.. lola

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I noticed she was doing like a gagging action. And her neck area (or beard) was really puffy compared to how she normally looks. She hasn't eaten anything odd she had worms in the last few days and her tank isnt hotter than usual for basking (I know the gaping for basking) this action from last night and today is a new action for her. She is also lethargic and is sleeping more today than she usually does. Please help super stressed about her.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post pics of her tank and a pic of her - go to top of page in the banner click on user image uploader - down load pics - click on reply- on top of message box click on XIMG and pics should post - what are you feeding her?
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please review your tank setup with us, so we can be sure it is all correct.
Such as the type/brand of UVB you are using, the temperatures in her tank, the types of
foods you are feeing, along with her supplementation schedule, etc. When you can,
pictures are always helpful, too.
Is her beard black as well?

Tracie

Sheclipse99

Original Poster
She is in a reptisand bedding (calcium sand) she has day and night light. Uvb broke and new one is ordered. She eats super worms, refuses to eat any greens ever. since we reduced her. Her head is not black it is an off yellow color which is much more pale for her than usual. Also last night she had a hard time popping. She was fed Thursday of this past week. Some worms still in her bowl.

Sheclipse99

Original Poster
First 2 are tank set up pics. The next one you can slightly see the puffiness of her beard and the last you can see the color of her head.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First of all I would ditch the sand and the night time light bulb- is it colored? Colored bulbs are no good and can cause long term eye damage - they need darkness to sleep like we do - it lowers their metabolism for them to get a better nites sleep -- use paper towels for a substrate - if you are feeding bugs on that sand its likely she has ingested some and it can cause impaction - second I would recommend upgrading her tank to a 75 or 120 gallon tank w/ doors that open from the front but first you need that UVB light what did you order -- ? This is what is recommended on this forum--Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- this is crucial -- her basking temps should be 95-105-- for proper digestion of her food along w/ the UVB--- temps should be taken w/ a infrared heat gun from Walmart Home Depot or Lowes for around $10 -- they give the most accurate temps- a digital probe should be placed in the tank on the cool side for a temp of 80's during the day and not below 65 at nite---- I would recommend getting her a bigger hide - to me she looks miserable laying on the sand-- you can find some good decor from Petsmart - that stuff is easy to clean - you can go to the store and look if you have one where you live or look on line--- but first I would start w/ the sand and getting rid of that and the lighting - it is key to their overall health and behavior---
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Sheclipse99":1ybzjas7 said:
She is in a reptisand bedding (calcium sand) she has day and night light. Uvb broke and new one is ordered. She eats super worms, refuses to eat any greens ever. since we reduced her. Her head is not black it is an off yellow color which is much more pale for her than usual. Also last night she had a hard time popping. She was fed Thursday of this past week. Some worms still in her bowl.
For starters - get rid of the calci-sand , that stuff is lethal when ingested , it's highly reactive and forms concrete in their gut. VERY BAD NEWS if there is enough of it in her GIT and she can't force it through as it's NOT digestible.

ref to this : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=236150&p=1815390#p1815390

replace the sand with ceramic floor tiles or paper toweling.

How long has she been on calcisand ?

How long between poos in general ?

Can you feel any masses in her gut area ?

temperatures - basking spot ? warm zone ? cool zone ?

What exactly is her UV source , how is it installed (distance from basking spot , ontop / under a mesh lid) ?
UVB rating ?
type of globe ? exactly (and brand & wattage) ?

If she's having a hard time pooing , the most likely cause is the calcisand , I strongly recommend a visit to a reptile vet and xrays to determine where in her GIT the blockage / impaction is and the extent of it and options to clear the blockage and her prognosis.

No solid foods until she has cleared the impaction / blockage , as solid food will simply compound the problem and add to the volume of putrifying food and feces inside her GIT and will make her ever sicker.

Also the tank is too small for her.

Diet : superworms are not a good staple feeder insect even for an adult bearded dragon .
see viewtopic.php?f=76&t=234999&p=1807834#p1807834

Better feeder insects FOR ADULT DRAGONS are
silkworms
hornworms
crickets
roaches
locusts

Please refer to this for a diet guide for adult bearded dragons : viewtopic.php?f=18&t=236074
and
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KarrieRee":1t2x60qt said:
First of all I would ditch the sand and the night time light bulb- is it colored? Colored bulbs are no good and can cause long term eye damage - they need darkness to sleep like we do - it lowers their metabolism for them to get a better nites sleep -- use paper towels for a substrate - if you are feeding bugs on that sand its likely she has ingested some and it can cause impaction - second I would recommend upgrading her tank to a 75 or 120 gallon tank w/ doors that open from the front but first you need that UVB light what did you order -- ? This is what is recommended on this forum--Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- this is crucial -- her basking temps should be 95-105-- for proper digestion of her food along w/ the UVB--- temps should be taken w/ a infrared heat gun from Walmart Home Depot or Lowes for around $10 -- they give the most accurate temps- a digital probe should be placed in the tank on the cool side for a temp of 80's during the day and not below 65 at nite---- I would recommend getting her a bigger hide - to me she looks miserable laying on the sand-- you can find some good decor from Petsmart - that stuff is easy to clean - you can go to the store and look if you have one where you live or look on line--- but first I would start w/ the sand and getting rid of that and the lighting - it is key to their overall health and behavior---
Karrie

Beat me to it.

Yep - no night light as Karrie said too.

Sheclipse99

Original Poster
Her nightlight is a black light. I think a zoomed or zilla. I orded a coil uvb so I'm sending that back and will get the other that you recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom