Head bobbing at me, started slow, then head bobs at me hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
I have a year and a half old male beardie. Who woke up from brumation about a month ago and a half ago. His eating has been on and off but hasnt lost weight so im not concerned. But as of two weeks ago he started head bobbing at me. Especialy when he goes on top of his hide on the cool side (he does there usually after basking). It started with slow head bobs, but recently his head bobbing has been way harder and intense, with a very slight black beard!

He has never ever been aggressive to me, and he is not being now. He shows no signs of aggression whenever i come close or anything. And hes beard turns slighty darker but doesnt puff it out.

It's just odd. He has never done this.

Some days he is extremely active, running around my room for literally an hour or so. And some days he is lazy and doesnt move much lol.

93594-8968902933.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Head bobbing is a sign of mating -- he is showing dominance --- arm waving means he is submissive -- it is mating season-- my male has not done any of this because he has never seen another dragon in his life so I am guessing he thinks hes the only dragon in the world :lol:
Karrie

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I only have one dragon tho!

Although... A few weeks ago he "met" another dragon, his reflection in the mirror. Lol.

He used to NEVER mind his reflection every time he roams around my rooms and walks past the tall mirror I have. Until he woke up from brumation a month and a half ago. A few weeks ago he walked by the mirror again, and went NUTS! Black beard and everything. So now I have to put a towel or a blanket on the floor by the mirror so he doesnt see his reflection.

He has only seen and fought his reflection twice in the last 3 weeks. Maybe he remembers that and head bobs now once in a while, but without seeing the reflection? He head bobs hard sometimes when he is just in his tank. Like I said on my previous comment, normally when he walks off his basking spot and goes to the cool side.

But oh well, im thinking hormones. It is mating season. At least im glad its somethning like this and not the other way around acting lethargic/sick.

But I read that it could also mean submission? Like he is trying to either show me he is the boss or that I am the boss. And if so, I mean, iv never done anything to upset him or show him dominance. He is a weird lil guy.

93594-6961382432.jpg
bonus pic. I love putting him there, and he loves relaxing there. He could stay there all day if I let him. :lol:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That would do it -- the mirror thing -- if he can see his reflection in his tank I would put up some sort of background so he cant -- he will stress himself out--- Hiccup doesnt have any type of reflection from his tank as he has bamboo back wall and sides --- so hes never seen himself in the mirror either -- yes its hormones --
Karrie

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just noticed that he can see hsi reflection pretty well in his tank, on the front side of the glass in his tank. Not much I can do about that. But im 99% thats why hes been head bobbing intensely lately

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can put some sort of back ground that you can buy or use newspapers to cover the tank walls --- but put it on outside of tank
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Karrie has it under control! LOL
Your dragon, who is a year old, is very hormonal. He will go through so many phases with his
appetite, behavior, etc so as he gets older you will just have to adjust to his different phases.
He will definitely keep you on your toes though! Head bobbing is quite a sight to see, they sure
are animated. Sometimes they will bob, just for no apparent reason, but I like to think that they
bob just to entertain us. :D

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Next time he bobs at you , do a beardie armwave back at him . I have been known to do this to my male bearded dragons and I always a " what ? " , " stupid human " look back at me , and the bobbing stops.

Cor

KarrieRee":3tzbj3dv said:
That would do it -- the mirror thing -- if he can see his reflection in his tank I would put up some sort of background so he cant -- he will stress himself out--- Hiccup doesnt have any type of reflection from his tank as he has bamboo back wall and sides --- so hes never seen himself in the mirror either -- yes its hormones --
Karrie

Where did u get the bamboo walls?

Cor

KarrieRee":3jp8xjg3 said:
His tank is a Zen habitat and it came that way
Karrie

I decided to diy, but I was dying to get bamboo walls because I liked the zen habitat so much! I'm trying to find those exact panels to be a diy Zen ? thanks for responding

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
kingofnobbys":3vlcdodi said:
Next time he bobs at you , do a beardie armwave back at him . I have been known to do this to my male bearded dragons and I always a " what ? " , " stupid human " look back at me , and the bobbing stops.

Hahaha, that's funny. I tried doing the wave to my adopted dragon when he first arrived to show him that I wasn't a threat, and got a similar reaction.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Aaradimian":5cwzqsuu said:
kingofnobbys":5cwzqsuu said:

Hahaha, that's funny. I tried doing the wave to my adopted dragon when he first arrived to show him that I wasn't a threat, and got a similar reaction.

I;v been doing this for a while now, but he never shows any sort of reaction to it haha
I'v tried headbobbing at him (i look so stupid lol) sometimes, and he does look at me like "HUH?!" kinda like a puppt tilting its head :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom