I bought a very sick beardie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am glad to hear she has improved a good amount. It will be a slow recovery but be patient.
What a scary ordeal, she likely choked on either some water or food, geez! I am sorry that happened.
I would continue keeping her a little warmer overnight, to help out her immune system & in case she has any fluids that need to be drained out. Maybe consider placing her on a slight decline overnight for a few nights, too.
Which 10% tube bulb did you get? A 12 inch is ok, but maybe a little closer. Is it on top of the screen or below it?

Tracie

doch

Original Poster
So... Unfortunately, "Sunshine" does not seem to be improving much. We have not thrown in the towel yet, but all 3 of us are in agreement that if she doesn't start to see some improvement, that we should likely not make her continue to suffer.

What is the best/most humane way to euthanize a beardie?

We really hope that she starts to come around, and soon... But my breath is certainly not held. If something happens quickly and we need to make a fast decision, I'd like to be prepared.

?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Do not try to euthanize your beardie yourself --- there is no way you do this at home without a vet's assistance without inflicting great pain on the dragon, TO DO SO WILL BE EXTREMELY CRUEL !!!

Take it to a reptile vet , they have a much more humane way of doing this.

If the beardie is lucky it's heart will simply stop and it's death will quick, or it'll simply go to sleep one afternoon or night and never wake up.

I think most vets will let you comfort your pet while it gets put down , this is by far the best option for the animal as it will die with those who love it and who it has a bond with and in a relatively painless and dignified and peaceful manner.

nathb1

Hatchling Member
doch":es0wyls8 said:
So... Unfortunately, "Sunshine" does not seem to be improving much. We have not thrown in the towel yet, but all 3 of us are in agreement that if she doesn't start to see some improvement, that we should likely not make her continue to suffer.

We really hope that she starts to come around, and soon... But my breath is certainly not held. If something happens quickly and we need to make a fast decision, I'd like to be prepared.

?

I agree with king bring it to the vet.I had to put one ofmy own down due to yellow fungus, euthanized by a vet is the only humane way.

nathb1

Hatchling Member
doch":3855fqwv said:

?
Did u bring her to the vet yet?If she doesn't get better make vet appointment see what vet says if there no hope then u can put her down at the same appointment

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
traildrifterphalanx":1wu68zvx said:
Oh man... you can take beardies into Home Depot...?
..........my two favorite things?

OP, I'm so sorry to hear of the complete cruelty that happened here in addition to basically swindling you. That poor girl, she needs lots of love, and hopefully she will perk up. She's a beautiful dragon.

Absolutely! You can take ANY PET into Home Depot, Lowes, and any of the Big-Box pet stores as long as they're on a leash! Izzy absolutely LOVES to ride around in the child seat in the cart! She props herself up on her front legs and just takes it all in! Her head is constantly going left to right and she spins around trying to look at everything! It's hilarious! And I often take Izzy and one of my birds at the same time, so people will come over to pet the bird, then they look down and see the lizard...Reactions are mixed, to say the least!

I took my Shar Pei, Jett, into Home Depot two weeks ago, I was buying foam board to make a few hides and tank decorations, and Jett decided to drop the biggest load of poop right in the middle of an aisle ?. Not funny. People are scared of him to begin with, he's a year and 4 months old, black, and though he's a small Shar Pei he's did as a rock. They seem to get the same bad rep as Rottweilers, Pit Bulls, etc. and are now on all the "Dangerous Dog" lists for apartments and such. He's the biggest baby on the face of the earth, but for a short dog he does have a menacing look to him, along with a really deep, earthshaking bark. So when he decided to poop in Home Depot I went looking for an employee to get me something to clean it up with...When I asked her she said "Oh it's okay, it happens all the time, we'll get it". I said thank you and kept walking to the back where the foam board is. Then I swear I hear "We need clean-up in aisle 16, dog pile clean-up in aisle 16".

I'm never going back to Home Depot ?.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I just read your last post, I'm so sorry she's that bad...Why exactly are you thinking of euthanizing her? What is going on?

And to answer your question from a while ago that I don't think got answered, if your 10.0 tube is a T5 High-Output then 12" away is fine, but if it's a regular 10.0 T8 then it needs to be 6" away to work.

doch

Original Poster
Rather than improving, she is definitely getting worse. She used to eat some on her own, now she will only take in what she is force fed. As mentioned before, I had to resuscitate her. My daughter's mom found her today on her back and unresponsive... flipped her over and she came to shortly after, but then seemingly fell again. I've asked to have them wait until I'm home to make any decisions, but things are not looking good.

Has anyone heard of or used Carbon Dioxide for euthanasing a reptile? As far as I've read, they just go to sleep and don't wake up. The CO2 allows them to not feel any pain at all. Simply place them in a container and bleed CO2 into it. It's heavier than air, so the O2 disapears and they softly drift away.

This is what I lean towards. I'm sure that nitrogen or helium would do the same thing.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so sorry that she's so far gone, I know you really wanted to help her. :( If it comes down to that, the carbon dioxide method sounds humane .

If you paid for these dragons with a credit card can you reverse the charges ? Or Paypal you can dispute, taking pics to confirm what you received instead of a healthy dragon ?

doch

Original Poster
I was not smart and sent an email money transfer. Bank won't help.

Although I'm upset about the money, I'm far more upset about the tears that my little girl (and her mother and I) have shed watching this all happen.

Oh how I would like to find this a-hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom