Not sure if sick or brumating :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

chameleon7

Hatchling Member
Okay so basically Pedro is sbout 7 and a half months old, it's late April and he has been avoiding his asking spot, laying on his vine on the cold side, I have tried moving him to his basking spot but he crawled back I think he ate one Cricket and when I offered but that's it he just sits there, not sleeping but just sitting there and I'm worried what do you think? Thanks

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
You're over near Perth aren't you (if my memory serves me) ?
... so it's moving into the colder months in MID MAY , please keep his temperatures up , a long day cycle (14hr to 16hr) per day, and keep the food coming ( 2 meals of live insects per day + greens ) , this should help keep little Pedro awake over winter , as Pedro is way too young to be allowed to go unto full blown brumation.

He might slow down and spend more time hunkered down as the weather turns nasty / cold / wet and overcast outside over winter , this may be what he's been doing .

Of cause he may be trying to thermoregulate and can only find a confortable temperature in the cool zone, didn't we ask you check your basking spot and zone temperatures in a previous thread , can't remember what you said they were at the time , what are they now ?

What are the night temperatures like over there at the moment (are they dipping under 20oC , if so you should consider installing a CHE on a digital thermostat to help keep him warmer at about 24oC overnight.

chameleon7

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I moved him to his hot side he ate a few crickets then went back to the cold side, moved him again a couple of days later and he was basking for a bit then went back to the cold side, measured the temps and it said his basking spot was only 23.5 degrees Celsius!!!!!!! Yet he is still avoiding it? Maybe my thermometer was inaccurate? It's a probe one?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
chameleon7":3hs8rcf0 said:
I moved him to his hot side he ate a few crickets then went back to the cold side, moved him again a couple of days later and he was basking for a bit then went back to the cold side, measured the temps and it said his basking spot was only 23.5 degrees Celsius!!!!!!! Yet he is still avoiding it? Maybe my thermometer was inaccurate? It's a probe one?

no wonder he's drowsy ....

put your hand in his basking zone , if it feels warm it's a good indication , if it doesn't , it's time to time to get a better thermometer and maybe a higher wattage basking globe.

chameleon7

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i'd say its hotter than 23 it feels warm but i cant be 100 percent sure what thermometer would you reccomend?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member

chameleon7

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yeah i think ill get a surface temp gun and an air thermometer, cheaper than i thought too! :mrgreen:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sure you can pick up similar at Bunnings or Mitre 10. Doesn't need to be reptile specific or expensive. Just latch those probes down with some zip ties and they should work wonders.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CooperDragon":1xydzfpx said:
I'm sure you can pick up similar at Bunnings or Mitre 10.

<<<< not seen them at Bunnings or Mitre10 , but been a while (4 or 5 years since I actually set foot my local Bunnings or Mitre10s , I simply order the stuff I want and have them deliver ( with bulky items it's worth the $40 delivery !! as I don't have a box trailer or ute or a truck and I don't want that kind of stuff in my Pajero or on my roof racks and well --- I'm very lazy --- and I hate queuing and I hate roaming about in shops trying to find stuff I want , and used to always buy lots of extra stuff on impulse or incase I might need it) ..... they might be stocked , check Bunnings website , if they have them they'll be there.
Doesn't need to be reptile specific or expensive. Just latch those probes down with some zip ties and they should work wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom