[HELP] My cat got inside the enclosure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
What king is saying is, there are folks out there that have cats and dragons. When these folks see these pics and think, "hey its ok...look at this". Maybe their cat is not so nice as yours and, now their dragon is dead all because someone posted a pic and spoke out against restricting contact!

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Here's the thing:

The responses regarding cats with dragons are painting the picture as never acceptable. I am simply showing this is not always the case.

As mentioned, I am always stating it's situational and cautious and to use your best judgement. I am not encouraging everyone to try. I am honestly sick of the cat bashing when I have living proof of harmony, but nope it's clearly staged - It's impossible for them to get along.

To those reading, take what you will from the photos. If you're so against cats that you think they're staged, so be it, but I will continue allowing the interaction between my pets with no concerns.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Maybe your cat is an exception, but I would think the OP would rather be safe than sorry in regards to their dragon. It's much better to go about it that way than take any chances.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
YoursTruly":2paxwzcj said:
Maybe your cat is an exception, but I would think the OP would rather be safe than sorry in regards to their dragon. It's much better to go about it that way than take any chances.

And that is perfectly acceptable.

I am not stating the OP or anyone needs to force interaction because mine works; I am simply stating/showing that criminalizing all cats is wrong and that there are exceptions.

I don't appreciate my cat being generalized and demonized when she is innocent. I also do not appreciate being told I am wrong or "deluded" when providing photos of their interaction and being accused of staging it. I just want others to understand that a harmonious relationship with a cat is possible, and that not all cats are killers.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
I'm not demonizing your cat. He/she could be the chillest feline in the world, for all I know. It might work for you, but so many others have had horrible outcomes. It's not just interactions with cats that can be problematic for dragons, though. Dogs can be dangerous for them too, especially since they tend not to know their own strength. It could be an accident. I just don't think it's wise to encourage the interaction.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
YoursTruly":33vp6hwd said:
I'm not demonizing your cat. He/she could be the chillest feline in the world, for all I know. It might work for you, but so many others have had horrible outcomes. It's not just interactions with cats that can be problematic for dragons, though. Dogs can be dangerous for them too, especially since they tend not to know their own strength. It could be an accident. I just don't think it's wise to encourage the interaction.

Know that I did not mean you specifically, I mean the general response from others throughout many topics.

I'm well aware that cats can and will kill dragons. Before even getting my dragon I read a story about how the dragon was in another room in the enclosure, the cat pushed the door open, wedged under the top, and ate the dragon. I was terrified.
Once I got my dragon and she showed extreme interest, I was terrified.
Eventually while handling my dragon and she hopped up to see what it was, I realized she wasn't going to do anything to her (baby Simon at the time.)

Years later she has little to no interest in them. Hops up while I'm holding one, will sometimes give them a sniff, but is generally not interested.

You're correct that this concern is not just cat specific. There are concerns over dogs, birds, other reptiles, and even housing dragons together that people strongly advise against and for good reason. I am well aware that the concern with a cat and a dragon is that of love, not of hate, but to assume all cats are the same is wrong.

I am just trying to show this from my perspective, and am again not trying to encourage everyone to have them interact if they find it unsafe.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I am not or, we are not DEMONIZING cats, their genetic make-up determines their true nature.
Cougars, Lions, Bobcats, Tigers, Jaguars and, Leopards have the same basic genetic predisposition to hunt, same as a domestic cat, which was a wild animal until the Egyptians domesticated them. Down through the centuries there have been many breeds created but, one thing they couldn't breed out of them was the hunting nature of the beast. This is in their nature, we or I didn't put it there, we are just pointing out that the possibility is there.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The big debate starts when a blanket statement is made to " get rid of the cat ." Showing disdain for cats in one sentence. Many cat lovers, myself included would never take such a drastic step but find something that works. And esp. if the cat was in the house before the beardie, some might say find a new home for the beardie if it came down to one or the other. Just another viewpoint.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
AHBD":3kk4srbu said:
The big debate starts when a blanket statement is made to " get rid of the cat ." Showing disdain for cats in one sentence. Many cat lovers, myself included would never take such a drastic step but find something that works. And esp. if the cat was in the house before the beardie, some might say find a new home for the beardie if it came down to one or the other. Just another viewpoint.

Thank you...

All,
I do feel I am talking in circles and clearly there may be no middle ground here.

I again understand where people are coming from and fully understand the concerns, but please realize that other animals, just like dragons, have different personalities and demeanor.

Cats were domesticated beyond pest control and have been welcomed into homes as loving creatures, some more than others. Considering them all to be ruthless killing machines is unfair, regardless of genetic makeup, and warning everyone with a cat of "imminent dragon death" is misguided and unnecessary.

Yes, be cautious, but your cat is not my cat, is not Susie's cat, is not Bill's cat, etc. Please understand this.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
traildrifterphalanx":2b6fu6y8 said:
YoursTruly":2b6fu6y8 said:

And that is perfectly acceptable.

I am not stating the OP or anyone needs to force interaction because mine works; I am simply stating/showing that criminalizing all cats is wrong and that there are exceptions.

I don't appreciate my cat being generalized and demonized when she is innocent.<<< sure she's innocent.
That can change in an instant the moment you are not watching or go out of the room - as has happened all too often to others in the past (with similarly "sweet" natured pampered cats where other small animals are pets and the cat is allowed access to them, and it is too late then) .

Sorry but I have to be blunt here -

SHE IS STILL A CAT , STILL AN APEX PREDATOR and remains HARDWIRED TO KILL smaller animals.

And her species are WELL KNOWN to torture (cat lovers call it play with, but is it not fun play for the victim , it is brutal unremitting terror and excruciatingly painful sadistic torture) the small animals they catch FOR THE FUN OF IT , often pet cats will not even eat the animal , they simply loose interest when it stops moving or trying to escape (because of a broken back and internal bleeding).

IT IS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME as it's in a cat's nature and can not be tamed / trained out of them.

I also do not appreciate being told I am wrong or "deluded" when providing photos of their interaction and being accused of staging it. I just want others to understand that a harmonious relationship with a cat is possible, and that not all cats are killers.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
traildrifterphalanx":2js1zqfh said:
AHBD":2js1zqfh said:

Thank you...

All,
I do feel I am talking in circles and clearly there may be no middle ground here.

I again understand where people are coming from and fully understand the concerns, but please realize that other animals, just like dragons, have different personalities and demeanor.

Cats were domesticated beyond pest control and have been welcomed into homes as loving creatures, some more than others. Considering them all to be ruthless killing machines is unfair, regardless of genetic makeup, and warning everyone with a cat of "imminent dragon death" is misguided and unnecessary.

<<<< better safe than sorry and in tears after your defenceless lizard has been attacked.

When it could all be so easily avoided by banishing the cat ( at least to another room and locking in there ) when lizard is about , and ensuring the cat and lizard NEVER meet and the cat can never get at it.

If you choose to keep a cat and a lizard, that's your choice, a very poor and a risky one (for the lizards).

Please don't advocate cat love / affection towards a lizard , as there are people out there who will think it's perfectly OK to allow "social contact and even joint freeranging" of their cat /s with their lizard/ s and this is only going end one way = BADLY.

Yes, be cautious, but your cat is not my cat, is not Susie's cat, is not Bill's cat, etc. Please understand this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom