Hand feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuego

Hi so I was hand feeding Fuego and he mistook my thumb for food. Lesson learned. But he will not eat unless he is hand fed. I left small peaces of Kayle, grapes, tomatoes, bananas. in his house overnight and he didn't touch them. This morning I wanted to see if he would eat and he did out of my hand! I really am trying to get him to eat because he has lost weight and is dehydrated. I have had him a month or a little over. Is he still trying to get used to his new home?

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Hand feeding is a great way to bond with your dragon! However, I would encourage him to eat on his own, too. I do about half and half with my girl. I'd like to make one suggestion. You mentioned kale, but that green is not a good choice for dragons. If that is the only leafy green you are using, he could be at risk for metabolic bone disease if you continue to use it. It binds to calcium, which makes it difficult for them to absorb that very important nutrient. The best choices are collard greens, mustard greens, and dandelion greens.

Fuego

Original Poster
Thank you I saw Kayle and a list of greens that was OK for Them to eat. Or turnup greens OK because I got those two?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Turnip greens are a good option. Kale is OK in small amounts mixed with a good variety of veges. I also like offering collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, and bok choy.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Fuego":onvcf21l said:
Hi so I was hand feeding Fuego and he mistook my thumb for food. Lesson learned. <<< .... LOL and ouch ! ... been there been nipped by all my guys at one time or another (always by mistake).... he was probably as surprised as you were .... and they do soon get the hang of the handfeeding lurk .....

But he will not eat unless he is hand fed. <<<< sounds like my gang (mostly unless it's something they REALLY LOVE ie mealworms, superworms or silkworms .... these are disappeared without my help .... all I need do is show the worm, put it where it can been seen and reached and .... pretty soon .... no more worm .... and I get the "yum! more please" stare.

I left small peaces of Kayle, grapes, tomatoes, bananas. in his house overnight and he didn't touch them. This morning I wanted to see if he would eat and he did out of my hand! I really am trying to get him to eat because he has lost weight and is dehydrated. I have had him a month or a little over. Is he still trying to get used to his new home?

Suggest weekly weighins .... you'll know for sure if he's growing then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom