Very worried about my beardie starving

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallball

I bought a mature -4 years old- beardie last week (Feb 19). He looked very healthy and was obviously eating. Since I've had him home, he's only eaten one super worm and a small piece of cabbage. Plus I've never seen him take water. I've tried every kind of beardie food possible (veg and insects alike). He has the proper lighting and a very well suited home. The temperature and humidity are on point. I don't know what to do! He's very affectionate, loves a bath, but he's super lethargic. I honestly don't know if he'll make it.I spoke to the owner who I bought him from and she said that NEVER happened before - that he loved to eat Add to that the HUGE misfortune that I'm financially strapped right now and can't afford a visit to the vet. I'm in need of advice, big time.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
This could be relocation stress issues. If it is, it will pass in due time, usually about two weeks. Poor guy got shifted into a new world and, is trying to get his bearings. You and your home are and everything he sees is new to him, this will take time to adjust to.
Try giving him greens like mustard, collard or turnip greens, these are much better than cabbage and can be fed daily. Superworms should only be given as treats occasionally, not as a staple. Crickets or Dubai roaches are good staple bugs.
Try not to handle him much for a week and see how it goes, handling only adds to the stress until he gets accustom to his new world.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Can you post pictures of him & of your tank setup so we can see his condition?
Please review your tank setup with us to, just so we can be sure it's all correct.
Is his beard dark?
Relocation stress is a high possibility. At 4, he may not have handled being brought to a new home very quickly. They can become very attached to their owners & family.

Tracie

wallball

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the replies. Every bit of advice helps. He's not entirely emaciated yet, but if this continues I'm afraid he'll just wither up and die. I've tried all kinds of dark leafy greens to no avail. Tried water drops on his snout and he won't lick them off. Crickets just crawl over him and end up dying on their own. Name the worm and I've tried it. I've tried hand feeding - no dice. I'm going to try baby food on his snout today. Here's some photos of him and his viv.

90870-4164265478.jpg
90870-3399364897.jpg
90870-2107670554.jpg
90870-2035148405.jpg
90870-11843085.jpg
90870-9094876521.jpg

wallball

Original Poster
Gormagon, you mustn't have read my posts in full. I'm all too aware of lettuce's lack of nutritional value. As stated, I've tried all dark leafy greens. No luck.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
wallball":15hll1cb said:
Gormagon, you mustn't have read my posts in full. I'm all too aware of lettuce's lack of nutritional value. As stated, I've tried all dark leafy greens. No luck.
I was looking at the last picture and saw lettuce, this is what prompted my last response.

wallball

Original Poster
It's not lettuce. Bok choy and cabbage. The latest two I'm trying. All other dark leafy greens I've tried.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He still looks pretty good, but I advise checking his weight regularly and recording it (in grams) so you can keep track of the trends. If his weight is stable, that's a good sign and it may just take patience to get him used to veges. If his weight is trending downward you may need to take more aggressive action with feeding. How did he respond to the baby food?

wallball

Original Poster
He didn't respond at all to the baby food. I had to wipe it off after a while. But get this... this morning when I prepared his salad, before I went to work, and placed it in front of him, he began to devour it! I couldn't stop smiling. I just stood there, wide eyed in disbelief. When I walked out the door he was eating. When I got home from work, all the salad was gone. I'm currently thrilled! :D :D :D :blob5:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It sounds like it was just relocation stress which can last days or even a couple of weeks. Glad to hear that he's eating . :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is a very handsome dragon! :D
The definitely go through relocation stress most of the times. I'm glad to hear he is eating now, it just took a little bit of time.
Did you ever try arugula, ours love it. I know it's a dark leafy but has an interesting flavor.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom