BD Cant Walk - Gout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KhaleeDragon

Original Poster
I bought the reptile liquid calcium, and I will put it on her greens tomorrow. I couldn't get any alfalfa meal, but I will get some tomorrow as well. I gave her 1 mL of the cherry liquid, and I had her in the sun for a good 4-5 hours. She seems to be doing much better-she is a lot more active, and uses her back legs a bit as well! Her legs are still swollen, but I don't expect that to get better immediately. Hopefully she continues to get better. :D

KhaleeDragon

Original Poster
We got home yesterday night. Khaleesi is in her tank now, and we will be setting up an appointment to the vet. In the meantime, I will head to PetSmart to buy the Reptisun 10.0 tube.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry to miss your other post, I'm glad to hear that she's doing better ! Hopefully she'll continue to improve. Be sure that your vet knows bearded dragons, some exotic vets see animals like ferrets, birds, etc but have very little experience with beardies and may not only be unhelpful but can prescribe the wrong treatment.

KhaleeDragon

Original Poster
So yesterday we took her to the vet. I wasn't very fond of him, but he was our only option. No blood work was done, but I did bring in a poop sample from Khaleesi. He examined it and says that it is pretty good except for some ascaris roundworm. He didn't really give me any advice on what to do next with her, he just said that I was doing fine. He said that it was probably just MBD-like you guys have been saying-and gave her a shot of calcium and vitamins A&B. After the vet we got the Reptisun 10.0 tube (my parents were not happy about the price). I'm worried again though-she is lethargic and isn't eating as much. Her back legs can't support her anymore either. I called the vet today and left a message, he should be getting back to me soon.

KhaleeDragon

Original Poster
Today she is barely moving and when I pick her up she is pretty limp. She seems depressed sort of, and refuses to eat. I'm really worried about her, and I'm not sure what else I can do. I gave her a little bit of soy yogurt, thinking it might help her deal with the roundworms if they are bothering her.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry that little Khaleesi is in such a slump now. Where did the vet give the shots ? If it was in her legs it probably hurt her. Your posts just before that said that she was starting to do better. Just get the powdered + liquid calcium + keep getting her in the sun. I think she's wiped out + stressed from the vet visit + shots and may feel better in a couple of days.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry that Khaleesi isn't feeling well right now.
I think that she will start to improve though, with her new UVB light. Definitely continue giving the supplements right now & if you can, keep her a little warmer over night to help boost her immune system. Keep her around 80 or so.
Has she eaten anything recently?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

KhaleeDragon

Original Poster
Hi everyone, sorry I didn't post yesterday, a lot happened. Yesterday we took Khaleesi back to the vet. I asked the him if she could have a blood test, but he said that he didn't have the expertise to do so, and felt he would stress her too much. So instead we had an X-ray done. Unfortunately it didn't give any answers. Apparently she doesn't even have MBD. The vet said that if she has too much calcium then her bones will be very bright, and if she has too little then they blend in with the surrounding tissue. The vet said that her bones looked fine. He recommended me to an exotic animal expert. His name is Jeffrey R. Jenkins, and he's in San Diego-that's a 3 hour drive from here. The problem is that I am starting school soon, so I need to go back to the new house tomorrow. The only time that I see the possibility of me heading to San Diego, is over Memorial Weekend.

The vet gave me three doses of an anti-inflammatory to give her for the pain and swelling, and she seems to be moving around a bit more. She has been eating some, but not as much as I would like her to. Overall she is a bit better.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't think MBD or calcium deficiency show up in Xrays of a small dragon if there are no visible deformities or breaks. Just keep doing what you were doing [ calcium and sunshine ] and that will help her out. An inability to absorb calcium may not show as weak bones but can cause other issues with movement because calcium affects every function of the body. The vet visits have probably stressed her quite a bit, as well as the shots. Give her a little time, and continue what you were doing , cherry juice along with the other things you were doing. She may bounce back a bit, it takes time.

KhaleeDragon

Original Poster
AHBD":3r6qmfbp said:
I don't think MBD or calcium deficiency show up in Xrays of a small dragon if there are no visible deformities or breaks. Just keep doing what you were doing [ calcium and sunshine ] and that will help her out. An inability to absorb calcium may not show as weak bones but can cause other issues with movement because calcium affects every function of the body. The vet visits have probably stressed her quite a bit, as well as the shots. Give her a little time, and continue what you were doing , cherry juice along with the other things you were doing. She may bounce back a bit, it takes time.

Thank you. Also I forgot to add the X-ray photos to my earlier post. ( I'm on mobile-not sure if they show up properly)

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/KhaleeDragon/media/image_zps7pbxe4v4.jpeg.html?o=1

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/KhaleeDragon/media/image_zpsqx247nqy.jpeg.html?o=1

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The x-rays don't look too bad, the bones look nice & bright white, overall.
Bones can remain white & somewhat strong, even with low blood serum levels, for awhile.
They can hold their calcium & D3 levels for awhile before they start to fall & show on x-ray tests.
I agree, continue to give the black cherry juice in case the kidneys may be having some trouble, as well as taking her outside to get some sunshine too should help out. Also, continue with the extra calcium too.
How is she doing today?

Tracie

KhaleeDragon

Original Poster
Hi Tracie, she seems to be the same. She moves around a bit, but I can see it's really painful for her. She ate some greens with the calcium spray, but other than that, isn't eating. I've also been keeping her hydrated well. I got ahold of an animal hospital that specializes in reptiles. They are in Durango, so hopefully we can get her there soon.

Also I have virgin coconut oil here at my house. I was thinking of putting a drop or two on her food. We give it to our dog with arthritis to help with her hips, maybe it can help my beardies legs loosen up? It won't hurt her right?

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
is it just me or does on of her tail bones look weird. I'm not familiar with the tail anatomy but one vertebra looks funky.

i heavily advise that you do not buy pets/products from pet stores especially places like pet smart/petco. i have read about how they abuse their animals at the back and when people buy pets from them they get sick or die. please go to a breeder for info as well as this place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom