Trying to explain a Beardie to someone who doesn't own one..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
I know that feeling all to well. I get the craziest looks from family members and friends when I talk about my girl. They are lizards but very very special ones :) my girl means just as much to me as my dogs do and that's saying a lot (I love my pups). And she has just as much personality. People that have never owned beardies really don't understand what great companions they are. And than there is the roach thing! Lol. The looks I get from people that do not own reptiles when they hear that I order roaches ?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Rankins":2c20kkzt said:
A bearded dragon is a lizard, they do habituat to human interaction and develop mannerisms in captivity that they do not display in the wild. Its easy to anthropomorphize those behaviors...its about how you perceive those behaviors that is important.
I know I said a bearded dragon is a lizard...so please be kind.
Can you put thiis in layman's terms, lol?

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Hahaha....I missed this one!!
What I'm saying is that bearded dragons do get use to people, its easy to attribute certain human behavors in an animal that isn't human. Its how you perceive those behaviors that matter.
I see my animals as animals, and they will always act like an animal even if I want them to be more human, they are still a lizard.
Clear as mud right :)

MsCarter

Juvie Member
I get what your saying Rankins and I agree. I think each species, humans included, has its own temperament and ways of expressing certain behaviors/emotions. As an owner of any species, dog, cat, snake, or bearded dragon you just have to respect that creatures unique temperament. How I show my dog love is by taking him on a walk. How I show my bearded dragon love is by giving her a big fat hornworm and a little window time lol. I know that my dragon is nothing close to human (which makes her much more pleasant to be around ?) but I love and respect her for who she is.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
My family is pretty diverse, it consists of my 3 cats that think they are human. My 17 (soon to be 28) venomous reptiles that usually tolorate me but frequently try to envenomate me. My Rankins that always want food, and a couple boring snakes. Each one is appreciated in its own way, each one fascinates me. But they all are treated a bit differently based on natural behaviors of the species. Keeps me on my toes on how to deal with each one...you never want to get confused on which ones are dangerous :)

MsCarter

Juvie Member
That is definitely a diverse family you have. im sure it's really helped you to develop an even stronger sense of appreciation for their unique differences. That has to be rewarding in itself.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
They each have their interesting aspects. Some are for mainly just observing though, but I still handle them all frequently.
Yes, I have a clutch of 11 Mexican beaded lizard eggs in the incubator. I'm on day 85 of a 5-6 month incubation.
It would have been 34 eggs, but I got 21 infertile gila eggs, and 2 fertile went bad.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
kingofnobbys":lsrr2yj4 said:
All my lizards listen very attentively to me and look me straight in the eye and often respond with head cocks and by colouring up , they genuinely enjoy my talking to them and want to up very close to my face then .

My beardie Thane ALWAYS listens to me when I talk to her. Yes, I do use the cutesy animal voice (and so does my boyfriend, except his is significantly more hilarious), but she turns her head, changes her body position and warms her colors when I talk to her. Then again, I'm usually telling her what a lovely little princess she is :lol:

As far as people not being understanding, I get this a lot too. Thane is like a daughter to me. When I purchased her from Petco, she was in horrible condition, and everyone here helped me save her life. I spent two months syringe-feeding her food and medication, giving her eye drops for an eye infection, giving baths twice a day to hydrate her, desperately trying ANYTHING... all before she would even LOOK AT a cricket or roach. I doubt most people have had to do anything like that with a cat or dog to try to get them healthy right off the bat. They will never get it unless they've been through it. Any pet can be family if you love it enough.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
magpieandstuff":15oczwxp said:
I can't tell you how many times people have responded with "Ew" or "Gross" when I tell them I have lizards. I mean come on! Reptar is cleaner than most dogs!

This is SO true. Most people's dogs smell like crap. My beardie gets a short bath daily and has no fur to keep her stinky!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
YoursTruly":18j0ia9o said:
magpieandstuff":18j0ia9o said:
I can't tell you how many times people have responded with "Ew" or "Gross" when I tell them I have lizards. I mean come on! Reptar is cleaner than most dogs!

This is SO true. Most people's dogs smell like crap. My beardie gets a short bath daily and has no fur to keep her stinky!

My beardies are very rarely in need of a bath ..... maybe I've bathed a beardie once in the last 12 months. No smell about them that I can notice , even when they crawl right up close under my chin or right under one of my ears.

Lizards are perfect pets for people who :
>>>> can't keep cats or dogs (tenants)
>>>> who have a very small home
>>>> who have little children who will likely be hurt when pushed over by a dog
>>>> who are allergic to cat / dog fir
>>>> who hate dealing with flees and ticks

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
I bathe my girl daily to help her poop. It's not a bath that involves scrubbing or anything. Just lukewarm water. She has adenovirus so it can be somewhat difficult for her to have a BM. The warm water soothes her and relaxes her bowels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom