I need your help, guys! Respiratory infection???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bilbo

Hey everyone!

Going to try and make this quick and to the point. Ogo is just over a year old. His behaviour over the last week or two has changed quite a bit. Hardly dropping any poops. Not basking as he usually does for hours. Hiding away in his cave. I've had a lot of trouble with humidity levels, as they keep reaching up to 70. But with my dehumidifier I can get it down to just below 50. Some days its harder, as the weather here in Alberta this summer has been brutal. He's currently shedding his head, tail where it meets his back legs, and some of his feet it would appear. I noticed this morning that he has some mucus like substance on either side of his mouth. That worries me a lot. I use to feed Ogo up to 60-100 crickets a day, and salads. Today, he wont touch a cricket, and hasn't for a few weeks. And he also will only eat a couple pieces of bok-choy. Nothing else. Here and there he'll eat a couple super worms as I'm trying to give him a little bit of fats with protein. Cause he doesn't really say no to those, and I dust them so he can get his calcium.
In most cases I'd take him straight to the vet, but I can't afford it this week unfortunately. I've been laid off twice this last year from the oil industry in Alberta. And so being on employment insurance, I didn't really budget for a sick dragon as he was doing so well!! If this is the case. I'll make sure to get him to a vet as soon as I can. But for now, I'm going to reach out to you amazing humans.

Here are a couple of photos of Ogo's face (he's shedding so he's pale, and he's a hypo). These should show the mucus on his lips. And a couple of his scales, as his sides are a little black at times. That tends to go away when I bathe him, or he gets a good feeding though. And he has stress marks it appears, which is RARE for this little guy. He's not moving too much lately either, usually he climbs everything around, and runs all over. Anyway. That wasn't exactly quick, my apologies. But here you go.. take a look if you can, any help is greatly appreciated guys. Thank you.

82996-8124206653.jpg
His current set up. ReptiSun high output 10.0 tube uvb, and LED hood (led's are currently turned off). 150 watt bulb, as his tank is pretty tall. I'll be looking to get a wider, and less tall tank in a few months here as he continues to slowly grow. (he's about 13 months)
82996-3179369336.jpg
82996-9916253518.jpg
82996-3268498480.jpg
82996-1970574539.jpg
82996-1393951439.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....I don't see any sign of R.I at all. A tiny bit of mucous can accumulate in any animal's mouth, so that's nothing to worry about. :) The signs to watch for would be excessive mucous in mouth, hard time breathing, regular gaping, puffing and/or popping noises whe breathing.

He may be hiding because he's too hot, they can go in to a brumation state or just become lethargic this time of year, esp. a big, well-fed dragon like Ogo. I'm pretty sure that his temps. are too high....a 150 watt in that small enclosure is going to heat it up a lot. And he will naturally eat less at his age, he is about adult size. The amount he was eating, 60-100 bugs a day is waaaaaay too much. He should be eating that in a week. No juvenile or adult dragon needs that many bugs, it's become popular to over feed dragons because of their huge appetites but it's better to give far less protein.

But I don't think anything is wrong, just getting older + picky, needs less heat plus shedding can make him grumpy. :)

Bilbo

Original Poster
AHBD":2o1xwbmj said:
Hi there....I don't see any sign of R.I at all. A tiny bit of mucous can accumulate in any animal's mouth, so that's nothing to worry about. :) The signs to watch for would be excessive mucous in mouth, hard time breathing, regular gaping, puffing and/or popping noises whe breathing.

He may be hiding because he's too hot, they can go in to a brumation state or just become lethargic this time of year, esp. a big, well-fed dragon like Ogo. I'm pretty sure that his temps. are too high....a 150 watt in that small enclosure is going to heat it up a lot. And he will naturally eat less at his age, he is about adult size. The amount he was eating, 60-100 bugs a day is waaaaaay too much. He should be eating that in a week. No juvenile or adult dragon needs that many bugs, it's become popular to over feed dragons because of their huge appetites but it's better to give far less protein.

But I don't think anything is wrong, just getting older + picky, needs less heat plus shedding can make him grumpy. :)

I had a feeling the bulb was too hot. I was having troubles keeping his tank warm with a lower wattage bulb at first though. Also, for the 60-100 bugs, they were definitely small and not large, so he would chew through a lot of them some days. I guess he's cricketed out anyways, he wont touch a single one these days haha.

Thanks so much for the tips and checking into these photos for me AHBD! I'm going to find a store around here (Edmonton, Alberta) that has bulbs I could replace in my National Geographic basking lamp. Hopefully that will make a difference! Shame on me for my husbandry :cry:

Thanks again, I will definitely learn from your advice!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's O.K, and you're welcome. :) You might find a lower watt bulb at a hardware or home improvement store.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Hey Bilbo,

I'm also from Edmonton, welcome!. You can use an incandescant bulb for heat instead of an expensive heat bulb if you want. What I really like is being able to dim the light so I can adjust the heat as the weather changes. (It's been a crazy year for weather)

If you need a good reptile vet I can point you to a few places depending on the location in the city. My vet is in Ottewell and charges $100 per visit but all rechecks are free. I've had to take mine to her for a few different trips so knowing that I don't have to pay every time for the same issue is fantastic.

There are some great resources in town, if you want to check out http://www.edmontonreptiles.com/ there is a society that meets monthly to network with other reptile lovers.

Bilbo

Original Poster
AHBD":1rvd1ewn said:
That's O.K, and you're welcome. :) You might find a lower watt bulb at a hardware or home improvement store.

That's a good idea actually! I'll 100% check one out within the hour and see what they've got! Thanks again for your help! Have a great week!!

Bilbo

Original Poster
SpacialCoogs":21y76rkm said:
Hey Bilbo,

I'm also from Edmonton, welcome!. You can use an incandescant bulb for heat instead of an expensive heat bulb if you want. What I really like is being able to dim the light so I can adjust the heat as the weather changes. (It's been a crazy year for weather)

If you need a good reptile vet I can point you to a few places depending on the location in the city. My vet is in Ottewell and charges $100 per visit but all rechecks are free. I've had to take mine to her for a few different trips so knowing that I don't have to pay every time for the same issue is fantastic.

There are some great resources in town, if you want to check out http://www.edmontonreptiles.com/ there is a society that meets monthly to network with other reptile lovers.

Awesome news! And thanks so much for all of this helpful info. I'm going to look into a incandescant bulb for sure. That sounds like it would work great! I live on the far south side of the city! Your vet sounds brilliant. I may just have to go and check that out for myself when the time is needed. Also, i've never heard of Edmonton Reptiles. I'm glad you shared that, I will definitely be getting involved with that.

Thanks for this Coogs!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom