** Help ** is my Beardie passed or Brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrdj1001

We are new Beardie parents and freaking out a little. I am not sure if my male has passed or is brumating. A little background.

The tank is a 125 gallon shared between a male (he is 5 years old and is around 18 inches) and A female (4 years old and around 16 inches.) It has two separate lights on it One is UV. It is set up with a hot and cold side. A large water dish and food dish along with 2 caves for them to hide in. In the center it has a tiered rock for different levels of basking on. They also like hanging out on top of the caves. The lights are around 10 inches or so from the top of the dragons. In the hot side it gets to around 85 / 90 degrees and we have been running a 12 on 12 off the substrate is a white sand from Home Depot-

I went out of town for a week and My GF works a strange shift and had to change there "daylight" hours to when she was home (The timer broke while I was away) We were having the lights on from 7 am to 7 pm and when I was gone she was doing it from 3 am to about 4 pm.

The male stopped eating three days ago. He started being a little less active and then I noticed yesterday he was just mostly laying on his basking rock. Well today he was moving slowly by the water bowl and then was laying down by the rock. He hasn't moved since. My GF chcecked on him when she came home then again when she went to feed them and she thinks he has passed. He is cool to the touch but not "cold" his stomach is still squishy and his eyes are half open as well as his mouth. I gave him a warm bath hoping to get some movement from his but there was none.
Should I remove him from the tank ? I fear if he was sick of getting my female sick.

It has been three hours since and I honestly can not tell if he is dead .. I fear to bury him in case he is alive. Any advice would be appreciated.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry that this is happening to you. Can you post pics of him ? When they brumate they still willl move or at least breathe lightly when you handle them.

They often do have their eyes + mouth slightly open when they die. If he didn't respond at all in the water than he sadly is probably gone. To be sure, put him on his back . He should at least make some attempt to move. Again, I'm really sorry. :(

Mrdj1001

Original Poster
This is there habitat about a week ago

88205-9321398339.jpg

and this is one of when he was perky and hanging out - Sorry for the inverted picture

88205-3941944912.jpg

88205-8542965687.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Has he moved at all ? He looks like he's gone. If he's not moving or breathing then I'm afraid he is gone. I'm really, really sorry. :(

What a handsome boy he was. :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It does look like he is gone, unfortunately. :cry: If you haven't seen any response from him that isn't good. I am sorry for your loss.
He was a great looking dragon & didn't appear ill in those pictures, so I wonder what happened so suddenly?

Tracie

Esha

I don't suggest you to use sand the bearded dragon can swallow it. I think that the lights should be 6-7 inches from the bearded dragon. But sadly it seems like your beardie is gon, try checking for heartbeat maybe?

I looked back at the pictures and now that I see thst he is not using his muscles to hold his mouth like thst and his to be closed. I am sorry to say he looks gone... I am so so so so so so so so so so sorry about this. It happens to many people. Ive had 2 beardies die one from impaction when I was inexperienced and the other by a car.... we are so lucky to have the chance to tske care of these cuties but sometimes things dont go right and its not our fault....im so so so so so sorry that he is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom